Author Topic: Artwork labels not preserved after conversion FLAC>AAC  (Read 2352 times)

StefanIvanovic

After conversion from FLAC to AAC artwork labels are not preserved, and I have to re-label them. MP3 has no issues with artwork labels after conversion. FLAC file preferences was to -s -8 -o (maximum compression) and AAC file conversion preference was -q 0.8 (maximum quality, and, yes, I know AAC is transparent at 192). Images in files are all .jpg and embedded.

This bug is long present and usually it is not a problem with couple of images, but with this incredibly artwork packed Smashing Pumpkins album with 42 (!) artwork images (entire leaflet) I finally decided to report this bug.

Windows 10 x64
MusicBee 3.2.6626
neroAacEnc 1.5.4.0
flac 1.3.2
Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:26:19 PM by StefanIvanovic

sveakul

I don't think this is a bug but instead related to the fact that there is no standard tag format for pure AAC files that aren't within a M4A wrapper so they can use MP4 tags, although some players do glue on ID3 etc with unpredictable results.  I know that doesn't help you though if you are trying to go directly from FLAC to AAC first and not lose the embedded artwork already in the originals.

sveakul

Thought of one thing that may help.  I know that MusicBee has the ability to copy tag information from one file to another;  with that in mind, you could do the FLAC to AAC conversion, then wrap the AAC files to M4A using one of the techniques described in this thread:  https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=23193.0  (with redwing's technique you can do this from within MusicBee).  Then, copy the tags from the original FLAC files to the M4A files.  Try it with one file first and if it works, go for it.  Check this out in the wiki:

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_Copy_%26_Paste_Only_Selected_Tags_between_Multiple_Files

It would be a real PITA to have to extract all the images and re-tag them individually, that's for sure!!

StefanIvanovic

I am sorry for not being clear enough about file format. I sad FLAC to AAC because those are the codecs names and that's how it stands in MB File Converters, of course it is in m4a wrapper. Actually I am not aware of MB being able to directly encode in pure AAC at all and there is no reason for that since m4a is so well supported and works on almost any device.

sveakul

Thanks for the clarification!  Question:  when you say artwork "labels" are not being preserved after the FLAC/M4A conversion, do you mean the artwork tag images themselves, or just the naming used for the images--cover, back, folder, etc?

Either way, after the conversion to M4A, what happens if you then do the copy/paste tag technique described in the wiki link I mentioned from the FLAC originals to the M4A's?  Does that correct the issue?

StefanIvanovic

Yes, images are there embedded, but not labelled at all (cover, back cover, media, leaflet etc.)

I just converted from flac to m4a again to try copy/paste tags and funny thing is that I can't reproduce this behaviour today as I could many times before  :) Hope it keeps on like this, but if I run into this bug again I'll try.

sveakul

Glad to hear everything seems OK now!  8)   I wonder if some background process may have been at issue before.

Steven

• Administrator
The cover type and artwork description are not stored to file for M4A (AAC) files as there is no standard convention for that.
To double check that, i tried iTunes, foobar and mp3Tag (which allowed entry but didnt actually save anything)

frankz

I used Atomic Parsley to embed artwork in m4a files during my brief flirtation with AAC, and it works.

Example to set a picture file into your mpeg4 file (jpeg or png only):
AtomicParsley /path/your.m4a –artwork /path/to/your.jpg

Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:35:26 PM by frankz

Steven

• Administrator
The artwork itself is supported by a standard and MB embeds artwork. The issue is for labels and cover types which are not supported by any standard or by other applications

frankz

Yes, I misunderstood.  It's just a generic cover in m4a.  One of the many reasons not to use it if you have other options.

StefanIvanovic

Well, I didn't see that coming! It is unbelievable that m4a has no standard for artwork labels.

Yes, I misunderstood. It's just a generic cover in m4a. One of the many reasons not to use it if you have other options.

I don't see what else other than ageing mp3. Lossy WavPack was promising, but device & players support is awful and needs higher bitrate to see full quality potential of that codec.