Author Topic: More virtual/custom tags  (Read 6525 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
With the extra functions now available on boroda74's additional tagging plugin, I think that more custom and virtual tags will be needed.
At the same time, I don't think these need to be in the standard MB release as extra tabs  (eg. a Tags(3) tab in the tag editor) as this would probably only lead to more confusion amongst new users.

Is it within the scope of the API to be used to create a plugin that could directly interact with MB's native preferences and tag editor panels to intergrate more custom and virtual tags into them?

Or Steven, would it be better to put this in the wishlist and hope that they were added in an (and I cringe as I type this) "Advanced Users" option?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

boroda

Or Steven, would it be better to put this in the wishlist and hope that they were added in an (and I cringe as I type this) "Advanced Users" option?
"advanced users" option seems to be very good idea not only for custom/virtual tags, but in general. i like very high customization of mb, but it can scare off newbies.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What if, rather than a Tags (3), Custom tags were simply given their own tab.  And there could be another tab for virtual tags, instead of hiding them deep in preferences?  It could even include configuring the field type, etc.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

With the new colour and font overrides and the additional operations available in boroda74's plugin, more virtual/custom tags would be greatly appreciated  :)
Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:35:49 AM by Bee-liever

vzell

With the new colour and font overrides and the additional operations available in borada74's plugin, more virtual tags would be greatly appreciated  :)

+1

Bee-liever

Is it within the scope of the API to be used to create a plugin that could directly interact with MB's native preferences and tag editor panels to intergrate more custom and virtual tags into them?

Bump

I never got an answer to this.

wobbly

What if, rather than a Tags (3), Custom tags were simply given their own tab.  And there could be another tab for virtual tags, instead of hiding them deep in preferences?  It could even include configuring the field type, etc.

+1

i still don't understand why we have tags 1 and tags 2 even a name change would help new uses

own tab for

Custom tags  and  virtual tags yes please 

phred

• Global Moderator
i still don't understand why we have tags 1 and tags 2 even a name change would help new uses
Because as Steven kept adding new configuration items, it would've taken up too much space for one tab. So it was split into two.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator

no, it requires coding through-out MB and not something that can be added via plugin

Bee-liever

no, it requires coding through-out MB and not something that can be added via plugin
I thought so  :(
I could see that creating an extra tab on the tag panel was possible (probably) with a plugin, but adding in more custom/virtual tags didn't seem achievable.

Bee-liever

Could a Moderator merge this post into this wishlist post: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24674.0
Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:21:38 PM by phred

Steven

• Administrator
For the next update there are 32 virtual tags
I dont plan to change the custom tag count

redwing

What if, rather than a Tags (3), Custom tags were simply given their own tab.  And there could be another tab for virtual tags, instead of hiding them deep in preferences?  It could even include configuring the field type, etc.

+1

New users keep asking about how to map unsupported fields to custom tags. It would be easier to guess if identifier list and custom tag list are shown together. As psychoadept said, if custom tags and virtual tags have their own tabs, it would be much easier to browse them especially now with 32 virtual tags. Also it would be useful to show configure field type column for both tabs as it's easy to forget the changed type for each tag.