Author Topic: Filter artist types in thumbnail browser  (Read 1935 times)

dulfbarglin

I love the new Custom Sort Values added in 3.1, this really makes the thumbnail browser sort nicely. However, all of the artists tagged as performers are among this list making it just massive. Every band member alongside every band and every backgroud performer. I don't need all that, though I like being able to dive into this info when I want. It'd be great to select Artists: Artist to filter out Performers, or even better a mix of Artists: Artist and Artists: Guest Artist so that any main artist of artist with a guest appearance can be selected from the thumbnail browser and the main browser is populated with all tracks where they appear in these roles.

jippijip

+1. Performers definitely clog up the artist list. I've been getting around this by using Album Artist instead of Artist.

frankz

You could use the Additional Tagging Tools plugin from the add-ons section to copy Artists: Artist and Artists: Guest Artist or Artist (Displayed) to a custom tag and then display by the custom tag. 

Or for something that is continuous, a virtual tag that just pulls the first artist from the list of artists and display by that virtual tag.  Come to think of it, that's probably the better option.
Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:48:11 AM by frankz

fabulario

+1
An option to select if you want to show Artists:Artist or/and Artist:Perfomers would be great.
You could use the Additional Tagging Tools plugin from the add-ons section to copy Artists: Artist and Artists: Guest Artist or Artist (Displayed) to a custom tag and then display by the custom tag.  

I've tried with this, and works, but with a custom tag there's no artist picture (just album cover).

Or for something that is continuous, a virtual tag that just pulls the first artist from the list of artists and display by that virtual tag.  Come to think of it, that's probably the better option.

This is the option that I'm using from long ago (with the Album Artist tag), but is not perfect.
I give an example: In the Album "Duke Ellington & John Coltrane" there's two main Album Artist, so I've tagged it this way (Duke Ellington; John Coltrane in the Album Artist tag).
When you filter the thumbnail browser by letter D, the Album is shown twice, one for Duke Ellington and one for John Coltrane. The same with letter J.
I've tried too with the Artist tag, with the same behaivour.

Hence, besides my +1 for the initial wish, I think that the thumbnail browser need it's own AZ jump bar to work better.

dulfbarglin

These solutions get somewhere close. I have a Virtual Tag called Main Artist I'm using now, but as stated no artist pictures populates, instead falling back to album art. In addition, the main things I'd like from this addition are:

1. Removal of Performer clutter
2. Ability to view individual tracks from albums not by the same artist and guest appearances all in one place. If I have Jeezy selected I'd like to be able to see Jeezy songs and albums as well as his guest verses and songs of his on compilations, etc.

sadsack5000

Has there been any updates on disabling performers in the main Artist list?
Just installed 3.3.7165 after a MusicBee hiatus and my Artist list is packed full of untidy performers

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'm doing something similar now - I use Artist track count in a virtual tag so that the thumbnail browser only shows artists with 30 or more tracks in my library.
It's not perfect because of some quirks with that tag, but still really cuts down on the number of artists to scroll through.
Bee excellent to each other...

sadsack5000

No i dont think that sounds appealing.
Its a strange feature that seems to have missed some steps along the way.
Of course its natural progression to include performers and musicians into Artists by option but there should really have been a config panel for people to keep it as just Artists.
Im surprised