Author Topic: Cast to Chromecast Audio devices?  (Read 7977 times)

Andy_P

As the title says...
I would love you forever if you could implement this in some way.
I realise that Google don't make it easy, but other apps such as GM Music Player on Android (http://gonemadmusicplayer.blogspot.com/) and AudioCast for the PC (https://github.com/acidhax/chromecast-audio-stream) have managed to do it in some unofficial way...

Many Thanks
Andy Pearce

frankz

+1, but it is near impossible by design.  Gone Mad of course does it because Android has Chromecasting built into the system.  AudioCast works by doing a hack job on your entire audio system, and I've still never been able to get it to work right.

If it were easy to do in a reliable way, Mozilla and Microsoft would build it into Firefox and Edge to take that advantage away from Chrome.

But I agree it would be nice.

Mauser69

+1

But I think I have found an option that is working to just cast the entire desktop sound (in W10), so that will do what I need - 2 clicks and all sound goes to the Wifi receiver while automatically shutting off the desktop speakers, then one click switches back.  Right now I am testing with a LinkPlayer Wifi device, but I have a real Chromecast on the way for testing too.  And since this app is sending the speaker output to the receiver instead of the raw audio file, it is not limited to any specifically supported audio formats.  When I finally got the first successful test this afternoon, it was playing both wma and flac files just fine.  But I have not yet done careful sound quality comparisons.

I do suspect that this may not work with a real Chromecast Audio, since the TuneBlade software I am using seems to be limited to using the AirPlay streaming format.  Fortunately, there are a number of low-cost AirPlay wifi receivers available - I am testing the IDER receiver, available on Amazon for $37 (it supports both wifi and bluetooth).  Now I have a low-cost way to effortlessly stream my lossless audio archive to my main system while using MusicBee as my chosen player, and that was my main goal.

Jamcast software supposedly will work with real Chromecast and other devices as well, but so far I have not been able to get that sofware to work.
Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:40:11 PM by Mauser69

zkhcohen

Maybe if you can cast the audio to a Chrome instance via localhost, you could then cast from Chrome to the device?

frankz

Maybe if you can cast the audio to a Chrome instance via localhost, you could then cast from Chrome to the device?
Can you elaborate on this?