Author Topic: Cannot move a folder to another drive by drag and drop  (Read 1890 times)

redwing

Select a folder in the left navigator and try to move to a different drive by drag and drop, then you always get this error:

No file is open or playing, but it's inevitable the files in the selected folder gets displayed in the main panel if that's what that means.

So you have to copy them instead of move to another drive.

Then while copying, MB's UI gets frozen until copying is done. Try with large files.

boroda

maybe its because moving folder within 1 drive is more similar to renaming it then to moving? at least moving folder within 1 drive is not copying and deleting.

Steven

• Administrator
Select a folder in the left navigator and try to move to a different drive by drag and drop, then you always get this error:
can you post the corresponding info from the error log which should have more info

redwing

Here you are (when trying to move from C: to D:)

10.0.16299.0 - 3.2.6598.34249 - System.NotSupportedException: D:\Desktop\21\
   at #=zuAq1TZIo_w5lrJMVqPoPZxg=.#=z2FBEQuI=(#=zKfdse9a$E41gfscri9gd6eQ= #=z7EiU_Q8=, #=zKfdse9a$E41gfscri9gd6eQ= #=zd67pXnc=)
   at #=zGB5kpMdTjuyiqDWdifZ_3I4=.#=z2FBEQuI=(#=zKfdse9a$E41gfscri9gd6eQ= #=z7EiU_Q8=, #=zKfdse9a$E41gfscri9gd6eQ= #=zd67pXnc=)
   at #=ztNDbBBFZy$Jl2WbNaM9BHbo=.#=zHv6PwrwkUWWr7flOGg==(DragEventArgs #=z$frEb7I=, #=z1WboWetAiuQV6oy_N9MG_XA= #=zdkAmRFY=)

Steven

• Administrator
Moving a folder to a different drive is not implemented. I'll see how hard it is to implement before committing to do it.
For now, you will need to use copy. I will enhance the copy folder function so it runs in the background

Steven

• Administrator
actually i see windows doesnt natively support moving folders across drives but i can implement myself using copy/delete ie. it will still be slow

redwing

it will still be slow

Even if it's slow, that's fine. There's a reason I have to use this way to move folders. If I move folders outside of MB, they get new date added value. If I use Folder(Move) command, it doesn't move files unknown to MB like pdf files and back cover.

redwing

Currently it shows no indication while moving a folder to another drive which could take some time depending on the folder size. Can you make the status bar and the MB icon on taskbar show the progress just as they do for copying process?

Also drag and drop a folder to another drive with deep folder structure is not an easy task. It would be great if the context menu of a folder shows "Cut" "Copy" and "Paste" menu just like Windows Explorer. Then users would no longer have to worry about dropping a folder into a wrong place while moving it.

I will post this on the wishlist as well.