Author Topic: Plugin Update Notification/Updater  (Read 22359 times)

derTyp

An option to include a changelog for a version would be nice, maybe through the website or even parsing a CHANGELOG.md file on github.
I can show the readme section that is on the addon page. I can't show changelog since it is not saved.
Would it be possible to integrate a changelog in the addon settings on the website, additionally to readme?

AvikB

Would it be possible to integrate a changelog in the addon settings on the website, additionally to readme?
Yes, i can add that functionality.
But honestly i am not sure if it will be helpful at all. Since a lots of add-on barely uses version system. And adding screenshots is another challange.... ,
Adding change-logs will introduce another variable that might confuse devs.
Also since there is an option to add forum link, i think it is best to have change-logs there. You can just link the forum for anyone that is interested in change-logs.

But i can clearly see why you want a change-log system in the updater. But as it is right now, i am not sure if it will used by the majority.

AvikB

I am pausing the development of this plugin for a month or two due to working on new MusicBee website update.
 :-X

redwing

Although addon devs need to update the versions properly through the dashboard.

Yes, that would be the only thing add-on devs need to take care of to make this feature working.

Regarding this, how about treating only an update with a version change as an "update" of the add-on? Currently any changes in the add-on page through the dashboard are counted as an update and those come first as recently updated ones even if there's no changes in the file. If you agree on this, that could be changed regardless of this plugin development.

AvikB

Although addon devs need to update the versions properly through the dashboard.
Yes, that would be the only thing add-on devs need to take care of to make this feature working.
Regarding this, how about treating only an update with a version change as an "update" of the add-on? Currently any changes in the add-on page through the dashboard are counted as an update and those come first as recently updated ones even if there's no changes in the file. If you agree on this, that could be changed regardless of this plugin development.
I think i ignored the version change due to the lack of people using it or probably misunderstand it's usage. but yeah going forward only version change will matter.