Author Topic: Lockdown Feature  (Read 28668 times)

Sarge

Steven I do notice 1 other thing..You can grab the edges of the program and resize it out of the way and expose the desktop.
Now for me that isn't a real big deal...I don't get the crazy drunks at my parties  :)

But it maybe a concern for other users.
For my needs this is working really good.

Steven

• Administrator

VX

Hi,

1) the new Locked Down Fullscreen Player (maybe this would be a more informative name for the feature  ???) looks really great in MB 1.2.4034!
Thanks, Steven :)

However, I have a serious security concern. Supposing the above mentioned "drunken fool" decide to have some fun and browse Internet in Locked Down Mode.
The address bar is unlocked so one can visit ANY website including the "nasty" ones!  One can even add a website to the bookmarks in order to compromise your PC security later :o If you have a good internet security suite, it will probably block most exploits, but if not - just wait for a while and party is over  ;D as your system was closed by a hacker ;D

2) It would be much better if the Internet access was limited to user defined Internet Services and there was no possibility to browse Internet in Locked Down Fullscreen mode.

3) IMHO, there should be an option to disable any Internet access in Locked down mode too.

Steven

• Administrator
i will lock down the address bar - that way only already bookmarked sites can be visited. However even then i guess someone can find there way from the website by clicking links on the web page, so perhaps a disable internet access option is needed as you suggest

VX

I was thinking about the name of the function and I think "Party View" would be the simplest and the best one.

It clearly informs when a user can take advantage of the function and is not as long as the current one nor the one I suggested above.

Sarge

What I do is prior to knowing I'm gonna use the Lockdown..I just "untick" those items in Preferences/Layout and only leave the library and playlists.
I know every user had different cases, but I have 2 systems 1 dedicated for a jukebox (always locked down), and my main system.

But I generally know beforehand when I need to Lockdown my main system, so I just "Untick" the items I mentioned above.
When I come out of lockdown, a few simple clicks and I'm back to full mode.

chorpo

I was thinking about the name of the function and I think "Party View" would be the simplest and the best one.

It clearly informs when a user can take advantage of the function and is not as long as the current one nor the one I suggested above.

+1 for "Party View" name

Blinghound

Steven, in lockdown mode, if you got to Help - about, then click on the musicbee link, the taskbar appears, and you can navigate from the start menu.

antiPOP

My 2 cents. Consider that, for common user who aren't familiar with our forum or newbies, "Party View" name couldn't tell, for what this function is. I would choose other name, just "Lock program" or "Lock MusicBee" and "Unlock MusicBee" when program is locked.
Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:49:19 PM by antiPOP

ild2

I can still get out of the lockdown by ctrl alt del and then starting the taskmanager to do whatever i want.

When "skin window borders" is disabled the taskbar stays fully visible and usable.

Steven

• Administrator
I can still get out of the lockdown by ctrl alt del and then starting the taskmanager to do whatever i want.

When "skin window borders" is disabled the taskbar stays fully visible and usable.
someone who is really determined could just turn the computer off and on. I was reluctant to disable ctrl-alt-del in case MB hung or something but i guess i could add it an option. And thanks for letting me know about the borders option - i will look to fix that later

Sarge

I'm totally pleased with how the Lockdown is currently working, It's real intention is just to prevent people from messing your tags or mistakingly re-tagging them deleting them etc.
If you have people that are that malicious in your home..You need to Lockdown those people.
Without this there is NO protect, with what Steven did we now have some safeguard and still can allow a friend or guests to enjoy your music library. I disable all the other features manually prior to locking down, if someone was malicious enough to shut my pc down or ctrl alt delete...his/her ass is shown to the door.
Thanks again Steven it's working great I used it over the weekend..People loved it.

Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:36:31 AM by Sarge

Maleko12

^This. I would make the ctrl-alt-del an option, but that's about it. Anything further then that person shouldn't be near your computer in the first place.

daak_grey

Seems to me that the lockdown feature is pretty much what most of us need. Expecting a music program to totally protect your system is a bit of a tall order, if you are that paranoid or have that many horrible friends the best thing to do (for windows at least) is to set up a new account for parties and then use account control to set the age of the user as 3, ban the internet and remove acces to ALL program but musicbee. After that you could remove the router cable and keyboard and hide those!   ;)