Author Topic: Lockdown Feature  (Read 28667 times)

Sarge

I have used MediaMonkey since 2007 and just recently have been using and "Liking" MusicBee a lot. One feature that keeps me from totally switching to MB is the lack of a way to "lock down" the program from any changes. (like the Party Mode in MM).
I use my PC as a Jukebox and this feature is great to keep anyone from changing the settings or deleting things, but allows other people to enjoy the songs and Add to "Now Playing" etc

Great job Steven ..very functional and yet not bloated down.

VX

I switched to Music Bee from Media Monkey (which has a cumbersome UI for me).

Surely, the Monkey is currently a little more stable and has got some extra features compared to our Bee. However, I believe that if You just try to use the Bee for a week you won't switch to anything else! This player do has some bugs, a few things could be improved but has been developing very fast and what is more important the Author seems to listen to the users. So don't be surprised when in about a couple of weeks/months your idea will be implemented somehow, maybe in a better way compared to MM.
Just be patient, because - hard to believe but it's true - this great software is actively developed by the only ONE person!

That's why I encourage You to post your improvement suggestions and encountered bug reports here on forum. Together we could make MB much better :)
Your feedback is important for the MB development. When I entered this forum some Users helped me a lot in discovering many MB strengths.

I feel MB was developed to meet almost all user needs: it's not bloated, light on resources, very functional, highly customizable (btw, there are some really great Skins here on forum!) and all in all quite comfortable in using. MB is not only a player, it's all-in-one audio solution!  :) I've got rid of some software that I have been using for years now when I discovered the functions I need are better implemented in MB.

Have a lot of fun and pleasure with MB !

Welcome to the forum  :)

Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:06:01 AM by VX

Sarge

Hey thanks for the Welcome... you wrote.....
"Surely, the Monkey is currently a little more stable and has got some extra features compared to our Bee."

But I disagree there..MusicBee had all the features and then some.. (straight out of the box) WITHOUT the need for added plugins or "scripts" this is what impressed me. BUT i don't want to knock MediaMonkey. Nor would i this software.

I leave my PC on almost 24/7 with access to my music and that 1 feature of being able to 'Protect" is important.
I been running this Bee A LOT now and really haven't even had a "burp" at all. I already made the decession to keep this installed and hope that some type of lockdown will be added.
Thanks again for the welcome.

Maleko12

I'll also give this a +1. I never even heard of this before, but it can be a great feature.

Rotem K.

But say.. you leave it open in a party, what stops the drunken fool from minimizing the locked MusicBee and messing around with the computer?

Sarge

But say.. you leave it open in a party, what stops the drunken fool from minimizing the locked MusicBee and messing around with the computer?

In MM party mode you can edit all those options,,,you can run it in full screen mode with the menu bar gone and you can disable "switching to other applications: / NO Alt=Tab /No Alt-Esc..etc.
All they can do is add to now playing..and if you choose people can sort the list...use next..etc, all that can be set thru options,
They can't Edit..or reposition anything. the only place "delete" works is in the now playing list.

You can't even access Start Button or any other programs in full screen. Plus you can configure your Navigation Panel and take out everything but your library.
Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:44:01 PM by Sarge

Sarge

Yes, that's why I'd love to see it in MusicBee, Cuz I'm really liking this program.

Sarge

All they can do is add to now playing..and if you choose people can sort the list...use next..etc, all that can be set thru options,
They can't Edit..or reposition anything. the only place "delete" works is in the now playing list.

I am fixing my own quote...I mis-used the word "delete" when actually they CAN'T delete anything..they can only add or REMOVE from the Now Playing..."delete function is disabled"

Steven

• Administrator
i've done this for the next update - here it is if you want to try it out.
If i've missed any areas where it's not locked down please let me know.
To enable, go to View/ Main Player (Locked Down)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ii4cwc0cxotprw5

Maleko12

Thanks!!! This would've been great feature to have last year at a all-campus college party. Long story short, Rotem's hypothetical situation happened, but it involved five people and my bed...

Sarge

i've done this for the next update - here it is if you want to try it out.
If i've missed any areas where it's not locked down please let me know.

Who are you Steven ...Superman ?...this is Great thanks !
I been playing with it and it seems to fit everything needed. I notice 1 thing only and that is that you can still re-size the center panels..But that wasn't really a big concern. I like how the default takes you right to fullscreen also, that was something that was buggy in MM.  This is way cool and just made my mind up to totally switch to MusicBee.
I use a older PC for Party Mode..this kicks your program to a new gear ..thanks thanks thanks.