Author Topic: Unable to open .mbp playlist file  (Read 5016 times)

Azuma.TS

Hello, I recently had to reinstall Win 10 and am now unable to import my .mbp playlist file. All of my music scanned in fine and contains all the metadata it had before the install. When I try to import my playlist, I only see options for .asx, .m3u, .m3u8, .pls, .wpl, and .xspf. If I try to 'Open With' the playlist file, it opens Musicbee but does not open the playlist. Is there something I am doing wrong?

phred

• Global Moderator
You can't import .mbp playlists as they are created by MB and used exclusively by it.

Try shutting down MB, copying the .mbp playlists to your MB install directory\<user name>\playlists and then restarting MB. It should pick them up at that point.

If you had first -exported- the playlists to one of the formats you mentioned, then you could -import- them to MB.

Let us know how you make out.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Azuma.TS

Thanks for the reply. I did as you said but there was no Playlists folder in the MB directory so I copied the folder I have from my backup HDD and pasted it in. After opening MB again, it still doesn't see any of the playlists. Should I uninstall/reinstall MB next?

boroda

no, phred pointed wrong path for .mbp playlists. it must be: "<your library>\Playlists\".

phred

• Global Moderator
no, phred pointed wrong path for .mbp playlists. it must be: "<your library>\Playlists\".
Ahhh! Nice catch boroda74. And my apologies to Azuma.TS.
I guess that's the downside of having a library named with my user name.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Azuma.TS

Hiphopopotamus

I've got a similar problem, except I'm trying to move my .mbp playlists from my old computer to my new computer. I have copied the .mbp to my new computer (via an external HDD) and just need to know where to put them so that MusicBee can use them.

I saw this from boroda:  "<your library>\Playlists\", I guess I need to put them there? If so, could you tell me the whole path please? I'm not savvy enough to find it with just this  :(

phred

• Global Moderator
I saw this from boroda:  "<your library>\Playlists\", I guess I need to put them there? If so, could you tell me the whole path please?
Find the directory where your MB installation is located. <your library>\Playlists\ will be under the MB install directory. UNLESS you're using the Store version of MB, in which case you'll have to find where MB was installed on your own. And I'm not even sure you can files to MB's install directory with the Store version.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

frankz

It may be the default (I don't remember), but my library is nowhere near my install directory. 

You can see the location of your library by going to File->Library->Open Library.  The current library is the one with the check mark (if there's more than one).  The folder location is shown there.

Hiphopopotamus

Cheers guys. I've now found the directory and done as advised but it hasn't solved my issue.

My ultimate goal is to get my music onto my new computer with the track info I had before - doing it the .m3u way (and trying by copying/pasting the .mbp files) loses the Artist info. What's the best way of transferring the tracks and keeping the Artist info?

frankz

1. You need the *.mbl file from your old library in a folder on the new computer.
2. Your files need to be either in the same directory structure as on your old computer or arranged in a way that can easily be remapped using File->Library->Relink Music File Paths.  For example, if it was C:\Music on the old computer and D:\Music on the new computer, that can easily be remapped.  If the files are all rearranged and renamed several levels down, then it will not be possible.
3.  If you want your old playlists, you'll want your old *.mbp files to be in the previously referenced folder under your old library as copied to the new computer (not not whichever folder you've been working under to date).

Once those two conditions are met (or three if you want the old playlists), you would just go to file->library->create new library and browse to locate the *.mbl file from the old computer as copied to the new computer.  If you need to remap/relink the paths, you'd do that next. Then your library will be as it was.
Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:30:03 PM by frankz