Author Topic: Can MusicBee be configured to favor m4a files over MP3 files?  (Read 2516 times)

md2020

Hi,

I have a laaaaarge music library, and at times, I have both MP3 and m4a for the same song.  

Rather than try to manually weed out the MP3s which have m4a counterparts, I am hoping that Music Bee can be configured to select the preferred format over the other.

Is that possible?
Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:18:24 PM by md2020

frankz

I don't think that's possible.  I wish it was.  You can do a duplicate search and delete the mp3s, but that's about as close as you'll get.

This actually fits in with something I've been thinking about a lot when it comes to managing a music library. 

I don't have the time to type out my full treatise now regarding my rationale and arguments for it, but it's basically handling a music library in the same way that Calibre handles a book library: The recording (or book in Calibre's case) being the entity, not the individual files that reflect that recording being separate entities.  Then you have different formats of the recording (book) (that you already have anyway) and can use in various situations at will.

Basically, merging all formats of a file into a single library record and then setting default behavior on which one to use based on situation.

I can go into more detail about this if people want to discuss it.