Author Topic: Option to add silence to start of track  (Read 3988 times)

iana

Hi

I have an issue using my Chord Mojo headphone amp using the ASIO driver where it cuts off the start of the track (0.5 - 1 second)

This is because the device mutes itself when detecting the sample rate to stop any horrible noises.

An option in player preferences to add silence to start of track (using same sample rate as the track being played) will sort the issue. If this could be added by the end user in increments of 100ms or so that would be grand.

Many thanks

Ian

edit - Roon has a similar feature which I've pasted screenshot of below:
Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:16:59 PM by iana

Steven

• Administrator
thats already supported in the v3.2 beta in the player preferences

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip

unzip and replace the existing files

iana

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have unzipped the files and overwritten but this seems to have broken it :(

I get this message:

And when I try to re-add the ASIO driver I get the following error message:

MusicBee v3.2.6597.37373 (Win10.0), 23 Jan 2018 21:54:

#=zoWi5UERctzhzkqcJMhpKF78=: Unable to initialise sound device
   at #=z87xtVi6CaFWiIaRE7lF7RcE=.#=zTrHmav20jZERhYHHnQ==(String #=zIP2akxDSIucyjHBxsQ==, #=zczq8GPDYHlgfWauhAw== #=z6Mh3837hnMHZz39TZQ==)
   at #=z87xtVi6CaFWiIaRE7lF7RcE=.#=ziTBfCD_eUrjWVG2bnw==(#=z2_mzdBAXzxOzj1hTLkMzoMzHOoXV #=zMSBWBZ0=, String #=zIP2akxDSIucyjHBxsQ==, #=zczq8GPDYHlgfWauhAw== #=z6Mh3837hnMHZz39TZQ==, Int32 #=zh6JDe_HhRsZL, String #=zN5S9suk=)
   at #=zM9AbJnlC59HWARnAXfNhiSfIcG98.#=zy0qiIaEp5CYL()
   at #=zM9AbJnlC59HWARnAXfNhiSfIcG98.#=zCrB03$Q=()
   at #=zi_8Ex$5Fj01WDc7R8qkfRj4=.#=zyZnaRaSWFRqK()

Regards

Ian

iana

Ignore the above post all sorted now and working a treat :)

Thank you Steven!

Regards

Ian

Steven

• Administrator
what did you do when you triggered the error? eg. change from DirectSound to ASIO and tick the add silence box?
Could you send me the info at the end of the error log that included the Object reference message
help/ support/ view error log

IggyMusic

I found this thread via google and decided to register. I also want to add silence at the start of the track. I downloaded the zip and replaced the files in the installation folder, but where do I set this up in the player? I don't see any options for this sort of silence in the preferences > player. Is it somewhere else?

frankz

It's right under "Output" and "Sound Device" on that screen.

IggyMusic

Yeah, I saw that option, but I thought you could set the delay yourself. So the program determines it on its own and sets it to whatever is needed?

doodlepapers

Yeah, I saw that option, but I thought you could set the delay yourself. So the program determines it on its own and sets it to whatever is needed?

It's 0.5 seconds. So for people who need a second or more, sadly they're screwed and will have to use another player, like the one OP mentioned.

hiccup

It's 0.5 seconds. So for people who need a second or more, sadly they're screwed and will have to use another player

In the universe of digital audio half a second is quite a long time.
Since the sync delay option was added to MB there have not been many reports of users experiencing issues with it.

Any chance your case could be improved by changing/improving cabling or perhaps the type of connection to your dac?

doodlepapers

It's 0.5 seconds. So for people who need a second or more, sadly they're screwed and will have to use another player

In the universe of digital audio half a second is quite a long time.
Since the sync delay option was added to MB there have not been many reports of users experiencing issues with it.

Any chance your case could be improved by changing/improving cabling or perhaps the type of connection to your dac?

Someone actually made a thread asking for this a while ago, being able to change the length of the silence. Basically similar to how it looks like in OP's screenshot.

"In the universe of digital audio half a second is quite a long time."

It only needs to be done when the sample rate changes. For example you're playing a song that's 44.1 kHz, and then you're starting a song that's 96 kHz. The DAC is going to mute the first second of the song unless you enable an option to pre-roll silence, giving it a chance to synchronize.

I like MB and used it for 5 years, but already switched. Not hearing the first second of songs is unbearable and really annoying.

"there have not been many reports of users experiencing issues with it."

True that there haven't been that many people reporting this, but the biggest reason for that is that hifi setups are niche. Roon player community is full with audiophiles, no surprise that this feature is supported, same with JRiver.

hiccup

Ah, I see.
The sync itself probably takes less than .5 seconds, but the DAC is muting 1 sec. by default as a safe zone.
I hope for you that Steven is willing and able to come up with something.

(I checked the ini file to see if you might do some overruling, but it only has a true/false setting for this)

Steven

• Administrator
this was changed to 1 second some time ago and is available in the current release

shake

I love MB and using it over 5 years.
I was really looking forward to be added this feature for several years... !!
Thank you so much Steven.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17553.0

The option mitigates the issue.
However, unfortunately waiting 1 sec or 0.5 sec seems to be too short to solve the issue in my circumstances so I agree with being able to change the length of the silence.

My circumustance is follows:
- MusicBee 3.3.7261 P with "play some silence at startup for hardware syncronization" enabled
- output: WASAPI (exclusive)
- sound divice: Marantz-AVR (intel display audio)
- cabling: HDMI (mandatory for HD surround format like DTS-HD. I also use this PC for home theater)
- Reproduction conditions: initial playback since MB launched or play songs with different sample rate. (For example you're playing a song that's 44.1 kHz, and then you're starting a song that's 96 kHz.)
Songs starting from initial 0.x sec.
- confirmed mitigation step: change WASAPI to DirectSound (but the issue still exists)

This issue is few observed because not all songs start from 0.x sec and not many people are using AV receiver. But some of my favorite songs are hitting the issue...

Really appreciate if changing the length of the silence feature is added.