Author Topic: Help needed with CD ripping workflow  (Read 1916 times)

mikehd

Hi all,

I'm truly amazed at the flexibility and power in MB. I do need some assistance in figuring out an efficient CD ripping workflow for my situation.

I have my audio files stored on a network file server and MB installed on my PC on the same LAN. My desired work flow is:

1 - Rip CD to Inbox (located on PC for ripping speed)
2 - Verify/update tags as needed
3 - Move to Library
4 - Move to network file server with folder structure (I don't want a huge list of intermixed songs from various albums)

Steps 1, 2, and 3 are easily done. Step 4 is the one I can't figure out. I think using organize files is the right way but I can't figure out how to configure it correctly.

Also, what is the difference between moving to folder and moving to organized folder?

thanks for your help,

mikehd
mikehd

frankz

Move to Folder brings up the windows-style folder selection box, where you can choose an existing folder to move the files to or create a new folder manually.  You want to do Organized Folder based on your description here.

You can combine steps 3 and 4 by using right-click->Send to->Folder (Move)->Move Files to Organized Folder and selecting the "Add to Library" tick box toward the bottom.  That will add the files to the library from the Inbox as they are being sent to the organized folder.

I have mine set up in a template with a network share - \\DESKTOP\Music\Organized\ - as my "To Folder" and then various templates for file naming.

The general one I use is <Album Artist>\(<Year>) <Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>.  That way my folder structure comes up mostly chronological.

If it's a "best of" with tracks from various years (I tag each track with its year of original release in these situations, which would create a lot of folders) or a "Various Artists" compilation (again, with tracks from different years), I use <Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> - <Title>.

You can set these as appropriate.

Hope this helps.
Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:37:01 PM by frankz

mikehd

PERFECT!! Thank you so much.

:)  :)  :)  :)

mikehd
mikehd