Author Topic: Adjustable Mouse Wheel Scroll Speed  (Read 12279 times)

ExGosu

Can you add option to adjust mouse wheel speed when scrolling artists in left main panel (for smoother scrolling). It scrolls too fast now (6 artists at once)

Thank you for great music player!

redwing

It's already supported:

Slow Scroll

If you scroll the mouse wheel with alt key pressed, it slows down the scrolling speed so that you can fine tune the scrolling when you want to navigate to a specific row (supported from v3.1).

wollington

Is it possible to have that enabled as the default status, instead of having to hold alt?

francolzn

+1 to this, for me it is skipping 8 artists at once and it is kind of annoying.

Erecshyrinol

+1 as well. And actually, I'd love options for tweaking the wheel scrolling for all the main UI panels.  8)

It's already supported:

Slow Scroll

If you scroll the mouse wheel with alt key pressed, it slows down the scrolling speed so that you can fine tune the scrolling when you want to navigate to a specific row (supported from v3.1).
To be perfectly honest, that's quite far from a good solution. At least I haven't found myself using that at all. It's momentary in effect and awkard to use because it needs a second key to be held down while scrolling.
Additionally, its effect across different fields in the UI are inconsistent, but then again, so are the scrolling behaviors of the different UI fields in the first place:

- Left main panel list: single 'notch' of scrolling on the mouse wheel moves list by 9 lines - with alt pressed: 3
- Main panel (w/ album covers shown): 1 'notch' moves by exactly 1 line (top of 1st line always snaps to top of album covers - w/ alt pressed: non-snapping, smooth, but slooooooooooow scrolling (to all intents and purposes useless ). I'd love an option for faster, non-snapping scrolling!
- track list panel at bottom of main panel: 1 'notch' moves list by 6 lines - w/ alt pressed: 2
- playing tracks list: 1 'notch' moves list by 3 lines - w/ alt pressed: 1

I'd be very happy to see an option for proper customization of mouse wheel scrolling. MusicBee already has options for tweaking pretty much every other aspect of the UI, so why leave the scroll wheel out of it, with the scrolling speeds varying between different UI segments to boot?

Now I get the idea behind different lists having different scroll speeds based on their probable length and visibility on the screen (e.g. the left panel list works fine with its default scroll speed of 9 lines per 'notch'), but having the possibility of tweaking these would most welcome.

Like, for example, have on the Panels Configuration options screen:
- option for simply using the OS mouse wheel scroll setting across MB
- option for using one global mouse wheel scrolling speed across MB
- options for setting different scrolling speeds for each of the UI panels
(- perhaps options to tweak effect of alt-scrolling as well?)

doodlepapers

I would say +1 as well.

The new scrolling speed is actually better for big libraries. If Steven returned it to the old speed, people with big libraries (or lists) could complain that they got RSI from all of the scrolling it would take to scan the list.

But for smaller lists, items are actually skipped when you're scrolling, unless you hold alt.

So basically it's hard to please everyone. The sweet spot, for some people, might only be reached if it was made adjustable. Or like @wollington said, an option to make it the default status instead of having to hold alt.

neworleans

Scrolling through a big library with column browser and album cover view is a little bit infuriating. Pressing Alt key solution isn't practical.

Big +1 from me.

Steven

• Administrator
For v3.4, i have added an option to permanently slow the mouse wheel scroll speed (equivalent to holding the Alt key down when scrolling this way).
I dont know when i will make v3.4 available

neworleans

I don't think there is any developer that rocks like Steven! Thank you!

lkixq

I'd also really love an update to the scrolling behaviour.

As Erecshyrinol already pointed out, in the current version, scrolling is always defined in terms of the current width of a row (e.g. one line of information, one artist or one album cover art) multiplied by some factor depending on the alt-button being pressed or not. This results in quite fast scrolling but feels rather glitchy, especially when scrolling larger elements like albums or artists (screen moves really fast and in large steps). Using a mouse, it is still manageable, but when using the (precision) trackpad, it feels quite unstable.

I think it would be nice to have a smaller scroll increment, not tied to the width of the elements and also completely independent of the current pane. For example in Windows Explorer, it is possible to move the scrollbar by very small increments, which feels very smooth - especially when using  the trackpad on a laptop. In my opinion it works perfectly for narrow lines (e.g. detail-view) as well as for large thumbnails or very long lists.

I don't know how difficult or unrealistic this is to implement, and I love your work so much that I'm of course already happy without it. But I think it would be an awesome update, making the program absolutely perfect.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

NdOthYS

I'd love to have an adjustable parameter for scrolling speed too, rather than an on/off option for the alt-key speed. I can barely use the album view with my touchpad as the covers fly by.
Holding the alt key helps a bit but it is still very fast!

As Ikixq pointed out, the scrolling speed shouldn't be dependent on the width of the displayed lines. For me too the Tracks view scrolls nicely while the Album view soars at high speeds.

Maybe we could look into what it would take for to make a plugin handling this.
Thanks for the great software, it is really something special.

eeik

Any chance this has made it up into the near-term release queue?

Alternatipsy, inverting the behavior (i.e. [ALT]+SCROLL yields the fast behavior while regular SCROLL is slow speed) might be an easy enough solution technically.

Talk of leveraging a plug-in override as a workaround for a native fix seems like an unfortunate path to take for such a foundational UX element as scroll speed. Many ways to trim this tree and perhaps 🤞 we're in for a solution soon?

♥ MusicBee 🐝

phred

• Global Moderator
Any chance this has made it up into the near-term release queue?
Using 3.4.7527 P I see no difference between 'slower' and 'normal' when viewing my entire library in Albums view or Tracks view. IOW, it's still fast. Holding the ALT key down while wheeling does slow the scroll down as it always has.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

literaldehyde

Using 3.4.7586, I have noticed an improvement in most panels by selecting slower scrolling in the settings, but I also still think it's very fast. Usable, but just barely. Some panels like "album covers" seem to be unchanged and are still pretty much unusably fast on my touchpad.

Thanks for the great software though!