Author Topic: checking BPM tags against BPM database  (Read 8828 times)

tangotonyb

Why do you assume the internet dbs are accurate?

In my experience they use the same algorithms that other programs use, and there is no mechanism to "correct" them, so if Traktor tells me 80bpm, I go online - also 80bpm. My ear with a metronome app tells me 115 bpm.

getsongbpm

It's right, you should not assume that BPM databases are accurate. In fact, it's impossible to be 100% accurate, no matter how hard you try (not to mention songs with tempo changes, or those without a steady tempo, etc.).

But it's wrong to say all services rely on the exact same algorithm. BPM detection is done by detecting relevant beats, that's the only thing such services have in common. Such tools can be made in JS, C#, Python, etc. The logic behind them is the same, but the way it is done isn't.

For example, we use Artificial Intelligence to work our magic. Basically this is done by training a neural network, feeding it with as many different songs as possible (needless to say you need to prepare such datasets first, which is time consuming). In short the more the NN trains, the more accurate becomes our algorithm. And it has nothing to do with the one Traktor uses (even if some bpm-finding services use the same open-source scripts).
For this reason we update the script behind our tools each time it trained. In the end results you get today won't necessarily be the same next year.

Of course, we can't update the whole db (that's just for new entries), but we encourage users to report bad tempos (it's a built-in feature since the beginning). We also perform manual checks (songs are then tagged as "verified"), but we don't do this a lot, we are just 2 working on gsbpm, and we prefer to focus on developing the site.

Hope this helps. Any help is greatly appreciated btw, feel free to can contact us if you're interested in verifying tempos (or even creating a MusicBee plugin thanks to our public API).

cheers
Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:02:55 PM by getsongbpm
The largest database of beats per minutes in the world. Access to millions of songs tempo.

xbliss

It's right, you should not assume that BPM databases are accurate. In fact, it's impossible to be 100% accurate, no matter how hard you try (not to mention songs with tempo changes, or those without a steady tempo, etc.).

But it's wrong to say all services rely on the exact same algorithm. BPM detection is done by detecting relevant beats, that's the only thing such services have in common. Such tools can be made in JS, C#, Python, etc. The logic behind them is the same, but the way it is done isn't.

For example, we use Artificial Intelligence to work our magic. Basically this is done by training a neural network, feeding it with as many different songs as possible (needless to say you need to prepare such datasets first, which is time consuming). In short the more the NN trains, the more accurate becomes our algorithm. And it has nothing to do with the one Traktor uses (even if some bpm-finding services use the same open-source scripts).
For this reason we update the script behind our tools each time it trained. In the end results you get today won't necessarily be the same next year.

Of course, we can't update the whole db (that's just for new entries), but we encourage users to report bad tempos (it's a built-in feature since the beginning). We also perform manual checks (songs are then tagged as "verified"), but we don't do this a lot, we are just 2 working on gsbpm, and we prefer to focus on developing the site.

Hope this helps. Any help is greatly appreciated btw, feel free to can contact us if you're interested in verifying tempos (or even creating a MusicBee plugin thanks to our public API).

cheers

Interesting insights.

Would be open to hear how more people are doing this..

skalpel86

Bonjour juste une petite contribution, car jai cherché dans le forum mais je n'ai pas trouvé
Vun utilitaire qui analyse et Tag automatiquement les BPM de chaque chanson à la volée,
MixMeister BPM Analizer.exe en plus il est gratuit.
ICI

phred

• Global Moderator
Hello just a small contribution, because I looked in the forum but I did not find
A utility that automatically analyzes and tags the BPM of each song on the fly,
MixMeister BPM Analizer.exe is also free.
ICI

And not only no more accurate than most of the other BPM analyzers, but often gives widely different results on the same track.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here