Author Topic: MEDIAMONKEY INVOLVED PEOPLE FLAC TAG - can it be read by MusicBee?  (Read 2027 times)

blue_elephant

Thanks to several contributors to this forum, I'm now 99% through moving my music collection from MediaMonkey to MusicBee.  The final 1% that I am stuck on is a tag called "Involved People" in MM.  

The MM table of track properties does warn of "Involved People":  in FLAC this is "Non-Standard" and "may not be readable by other media players".

My library is mostly FLAC with a few mp3s.

I defined a new custom tag for "Involved People" and put the labels "IPLS" in the mp3 column and "INVOLVED PEOPLE" in the flac/ogg column (these being the labels given in the MM table of properties)

The "Involved People" information arrived safely for the mp3 tracks, but not for the FLAC tracks.

I also tried using "IPLS" in the flac/ogg column - to no effect.

So - help please - does anyone know how I can get my Involved People tag contents across from MM to MB?

blue_elephant

Thanks Redwing, I've looked at those threads, but I haven't found a solution to my problem there.

I did see that the label (if that's the right word) for "Involved People List" was given as "TIPL" in the wishlist topic on regular tags, so I tried using that to create my custom tag, but still nothing comes through.

I suspect the problem lies with MediaMonkey not exporting the tag content - so I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and found out how to fix it......

redwing

If you can bulk copy the tag values from MediaMonkey to spreadsheet (or clipboard), then you will be able to copy it to MB using Additional Tagging Tools plugin.
Use "copy tag" command from "clipboard" or "text file" to the tag.

frankz

I don't know if it matters or will help, but according to this mapping table, the name of the Vorbis field to be used for this purpose is "PERFORMER."  When I look at my FLAC files that MusicBrainz Picard has tagged, this is where the list of musicians resides.

The Producer is in the PRODUCER tag.  Engineers are in the ENGINEER field, etc.

There is no INVOLVED PEOPLE tag in Vorbis according to the map.

blue_elephant

Thanks for the suggestion frankz, I tried using PERFORMER for the custom tag, but still nothing.

Many thanks also to redwing - you may have given me the answer.  I experimented with the Mediamonkey database file, and I have managed to extract a list of all my songs together with tags - including the elusive Involved People - to a spreadsheet.  I hadn't thought of trying that before you suggested it.

Now all I have to do is get to grips with Additional Tagging Tools, and hopefully my problem will be solved.  I'll post again when I've tried it - wish me luck!

redwing

blue_elephant

Success! :)  :)  :)

Thanks redwing, you are truly a "hero" member.

With the help of your guide to copying tags from a text file, I finally have all my Involved People data in MusicBee.

I had a bit of a struggle working out how to identify the tracks I needed to update in MusicBee, and then to sort both the list for the text file and the selected tracks in MusicBee to be in the same order, but I got there in the end.

So thanks again, now I can finally say goodbye to MediaMonkey.

theta_wave

I had the same issue when migrating to Musicbee from MediaMonkey.  I simply looked at the tags while in MusicBee, opened up tag inspector, took note of the tag field, created a custom tag directed to the tag field I noted, hit apply and let Musicbee add that tag to its library.  Now I can see involved people in both musicbee and MediaMonkey.

Eventually I ditched "involved people" and moved them over to the performer tag.