Author Topic: How to convert files to ogg opus when syncing with mtp?  (Read 2446 times)

y2klol

I want to use opus for my android but I think it has to be in the ogg container for it to work on android (by default). Is there a way to convert to opus ogg?

Also, does changing --bitrate 256 --vbr --ignorelength - [outputfile] to --bitrate 320 --vbr --ignorelength - [outputfile] change it to 320 vbr?

y2klol

Okay so the answer to the second questions is yes, but I still need an answer for the first.

phred

• Global Moderator
I want to use opus for my android but I think it has to be in the ogg container for it to work on android (by default). Is there a way to convert to opus ogg?
Have you looked at File Converters under Preferences? You can convert to OGG and to OPUS.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sierrajmk

I think there's a bit of confusion on this.  OPUS does use the OGG container irregardless of the file extension.  The question here is that Android Media Scanner does not recognize files that end in .opus.  It does recognize opus files if they end in .ogg.  I can easily append .ogg to the opus file so that the Android Media Scanner picks it up.  

So the question is if we can change the extension on opus files from .opus to .opus.ogg so that it will work with Android when we do the device syncing.  In currrent state with MusicBee, converting to Opus ends in .opus and if I try to add the .ogg extension manually, the next device sync doesn't pick that change up.  opusenc.exe has ability to name the output file whatever you want, but within MusicBee, I believe we are required to use the [outputfile] parameter which has it end in .opus.  I tried adding in [outputfile].ogg but it didn't work.  Not sure if there is a workaround available to output opus files with the .ogg extension or if code would need to be modified to support this.

101lols

Also, does changing --bitrate 256 --vbr --ignorelength - [outputfile] to --bitrate 320 --vbr --ignorelength - [outputfile] change it to 320 vbr?

Opus bitrate doesn't go higher than 256kbps. Source

Did you find out how to change the output file extension to .ogg?

sveakul

[Opus bitrate doesn't go higher than 256kbps. Source

Actually the source is referring to 256k per-CHANNEL for multichannel sources greater than regular stereo--5.1, 6.1, etc.

"Opus supports bitrates from 6kbps to 510kbps for typical stereo audio sources (and a maximum of around 255 kbps per channel for multichannel audio)."

(https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Opus)

Also see:  http://opus-codec.org/

sierrajmk

I did not figure out how to make the file extension output .ogg for Opus files in MusicBee.  I ended up doing a workaround by renaming the files based on whether I was having MusicBee process them or sending the files to Android.  However that was cumbersome, so I implemented a system using hard links in Linux (mounted via CIFS).