Author Topic: Wrap album art around  (Read 2950 times)

Tjoeker

I'm in the artist view, grouped by album artist.
Would it be possible to wrap the albums around instead of adding arrows to scroll as seen in the picture?

skipsy

I would like to second this. I find it quite annoying and unnecessary having to scroll through an artist's albums in this way. I have over 30 John Coltrane albums and this means I always have to scroll several times to find the later albums.

When clicking on an artist it would be nice to have all of their albums laid out immediately below. It would also make sense to shift position upwards so that the albums open out from (say) the second row from the top of the screen.

johnmillsjr

I would also like to see groupings and their headers implemented with this.

hiccup

Would it be possible to wrap the albums around instead of adding arrows to scroll as seen in the picture?

For the 'Artists' panel configuration, set: 'Show the tracks…' > 'In a separate panel'.
Then when you double click an artist, a new panel opens. Set that panel to 'Albums' view.

Does that result in what you would like to see?

edit:
MB 3.4 is needed for this
Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:59:09 AM by hiccup

skipsy

Not exactly. What that does is to open out all the tracks from all the albums below (which again can be an enormous list if there are a lot of albums for the artist in question).

The current setting is 'Show the tracks....directly under the selected artist'
With a single click, this opens out just a neat row of album covers belonging to the artist, allowing you to quickly drill down into the album you want.

The problem is that the group of album covers always opens out horizontally so if the artist in question has a lot of albums, most of these will be off the page to the right and you need to scroll this list horizontally to find the album cover you want.

So ideally, the group of album covers for any artist should wrap at the width of the main panel, so the album covers can all be seen below with just one click.

Then when you click on any of these covers, the tracks in that album would also open out (as it does now).

hiccup

Not exactly. What that does is to open out all the tracks from all the albums below (which again can be an enormous list if there are a lot of albums for the artist in question).
I think you are doing something 'wrong' then.
This is how it should work:

(click for gif)

But there is an issue that makes this not so pleasant to use; the expanded panel keeps opening also, which makes it all a rather nervous experience.

skipsy

I must be!

Yours looks a little different to mine and seems to work in a different way. Mine looks exactly like the layout in Tjoeker's initial post above. Album covers are stacked, rather than a single picture, and when you click on an album stack they just open out horizontally. There's no way for me to open out the albums below as in your example.

Also, when hovering over an artist I don't see a play/pause button.

Perhaps this is because I've kept the same layout over several upgrades, by copying the layout files into the MB folder after each upgrade?
Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:31:40 PM by skipsy

hiccup

Yours looks a little different to mine and seems to work in a different way. Mine looks exactly like the layout in Tjoeker's initial post above. Album covers are stacked, rather than a single picture, and when you click on an album stack they just open out horizontally. There's no way for me to open out the albums below as in your example.
Also, when hovering over an artist I don't see a play/pause button.

There are a lot of settings in the configuration panel to tweak things to your liking. You'll have to experiment a bit with those.
And (as I mentioned), for the option to open a separate panel you need MB 3.4 beta.

skipsy

Yes I'm using the 3.4 Beta. I've tried the 'separate panel' option you suggested but as I described, this just opens out all the track details for every album at once, which produces a very big list.

Thank you for reminding me about the 'click to play' button and 'Show artist picture.'
I have played around with these settings long ago and I remember now why I have it this way. But I haven't been able to find any combination that produces a wrap-around of the album art.

hiccup

but as I described, this just opens out all the track details for every album at once, which produces a very big list.
Than the new panel is in track view. Click on 'Tracks' somewhere top left and change it to Album Covers.

skipsy

Thanks, that does seem to produce a similar result to what you have.

The only problem I have with all of this is that you have to double-click everything to get where you want to go, and you have to back out of it to get back to the main artists panel.

The way I had it to begin with was almost perfect already - You can navigate within the artists panel, open up an artist or switch to another artist, without ever having to double click or back out. The standard view settings here are really good. The only issue was the lack of a 'wrap' for the line of album covers of an artist once opened out.

hiccup

I understand, sorry for the interruption of this wish  ;-)