Author Topic: Help identifying missing files  (Read 8642 times)

tstenz

Ah! Another thing you can do is to export your current MusicBee library as an XML file (Edit->Preferences->Library and check "export the library as an iTunes formatted XML File" and then close MB, edit that XML file in a text editor to correct the path, and then import that corrected file as a new clean library.  That will catch changes you made since you left iTunes.

That's if you want to completely avoid the remapping weirdness.

Thanks, I'll try this because clicking "..." after the file location does nothing for some reason.

frankz

How is this done?
Right click the column listings (Artist, Title, Album,etc) at the top of the main panel and select "Set Displayed Fields." You can add it from there.

@redwing - I have a semi-related question. When you do a Remap, does it alter the library and change the path, or does it just tell musicbee to substitute the new path for the old path on the fly?  I thought it was substituting on the fly, but it doesn't seem like it since under my remap options both sides now show the same paths.

In other words, if I were to clear the remapping options right now, would my library go back to its original state?

tstenz

If you add Path column to the main panel, does it show "C:\Music\MusicBee\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\" for all files?

Yes.

Then try remapping music files from "C:\Music\MusicBee\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\" to "C:\Music\MusicBee\" (without quote).

That's the problem; the remap is already showing C:\Music\MusicBee as the current location.

redwing

That's the problem; the remap is already showing C:\Music\MusicBee as the current location.

What's the path in "from" box?

redwing

@redwing - I have a semi-related question. When you do a Remap, does it alter the library and change the path, or does it just tell musicbee to substitute the new path for the old path on the fly?  I thought it was substituting on the fly, but it doesn't seem like it since under my remap options both sides now show the same paths.

In other words, if I were to clear the remapping options right now, would my library go back to its original state?

I think the text in the dialog says everything. It changes the file path registered in the library.

tstenz

What's the path in "from" box?

C:\Music\MusicBee. Which is identical to the path in the "from" box of my newly created library that works perfectly fine (besides having no record of the deleted tracks I want to find); that one just doesn't have the extra folders added to the individual file locations.

redwing

Then as I said try remapping music files from "C:\Music\MusicBee\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\" to "C:\Music\MusicBee\" to see what happens.

tstenz

Then as I said try remapping music files from "C:\Music\MusicBee\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\" to "C:\Music\MusicBee\" to see what happens.

Just so we're clear, when I do that, the "from" and the "to" file paths in the Remap Music Folders window are identical.
But yeah, that doesn't change anything.

redwing

Maybe it's because it's a sub-folder of the target folder.
Then let's try this. Change the target path to "D:\madeup\". Run the command.
And then remap from "D:\madeup\" to "C:\Music\MusicBee\"

tstenz

OK, I created a new library using the XML from my initial library and now things are getting really weird.

1) Even after adjusting the Music Folder path so that it's identical to my working library, only about half of the files can be located.
2) The unlocatable files have little exclamation marks next to them to indicate that they're not available. This is exactly the behavior I'm looking to replicate in my initial library (once I get the remapping figured out); why isn't that library behaving the same way?
3) When I try to play one of the unlocatable files in the new library, it asks me if I'd like to locate the file. When I click yes, it points me to exactly where the file is. The "path" shown for each is also correct, so I'm not sure why it can't locate them. But if I can correct this issue, I think this will get me what I need.
Also, probably related to point #2: when I try to play a file in my initial library, it just tells me that it can't be found. There's no option to locate it.
4) Edit: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong place.
Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:20:37 PM by tstenz

tstenz

Maybe it's because it's a sub-folder of the target folder.
Then let's try this. Change the target path to "D:\madeup\". Run the command.
And then remap from "D:\madeup\" to "C:\Music\MusicBee\"

No dice. Even when it was pointing to D:\madeup\, the paths changed to D:\madeup\iTunes\iTunes Media\.

redwing

Then try remapping from "D:\madeup\iTunes\iTunes Media\" to "C:\Music\MusicBee\"

tstenz

Then try remapping from "D:\madeup\iTunes\iTunes Media\" to "C:\Music\MusicBee\"

Sorry if I was unclear. I did that and nothing changed.
I can't remap from exactly that path because the iTunes\iTunes Media\ portion does not show in the "from" box; it only said "D:\madeup\". That portion of it must be coming from somewhere else

redwing

What's the current path shown in the main panel?

redwing

You mean it's still "D:\madeup\iTunes\iTunes Media\" ?

Try entering the path to "from" box and remap to "C:\Music\MusicBee\"