Author Topic: "v" and "w" together when sorting album artists  (Read 1926 times)

mjn01

When I sort album artists in the main panel, with the a-z jumpbar at top, album artists that begin with "v" och "w" get mixed. for example:

W
Walkabouts
Walkmen

V
Van Morrison

W
Wannadies

V
Velvet Underground

W
Willie Nile

V
Violent femmes

... and so on.

2 questions about this:

1/ Is it possible to sort "v" and "w" seperatly?

2/ Or (if the above isn not possible) can I choose the headline "V/W" instead of "V" and "W". Now I get a lot of headlines with either "V" or "W" (see above).

Cheers/Magnus J, Sweden

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!  I suggest taking a look at the Sorting tab of the Tag Editor for a few of these files, and see if some of them haven't been given an odd sort value that would be causing this.  V and W definitely should be separate.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

mjn01

Hi,
& thanks! However, I can't find anything in strange (or, more precisely, any words that starts with a "v" when it should have been "w" or vice versa).

It really looks like I've checked a box somewhere which says "sort v and w togheter": this is the only place in my library where the sorting goes wrong, and the sorting of album artist that begin with a v or a w is perfect - if you want MB to process v and w as if it was the same letter. This is the present order:

W
The Walkabouts   
The Walkmen

V
Van Morrison

W
The Wannadies
Warren Zevon
The Waterboys
We are scientists
Weeping willows
Weezer

V
The Veils
The Velvet Underground
The verve

W
Whiskeytown
White stripes
The Who
Whyte seeds
Wilco
Wilko Johnsoon
Will Oldham
Will T. Massey
Willie Nelson
Willie Nie
Wilmer x

V
Violent Femmes

W
Woody Guthrie
Woven hand

V
Vue

redwing

Google tells me it's Swedish alphabet that treats v and w equivalent in sorting.

Swedish sorting traditionally and officially treated 'V' and 'W' as equivalent...The two letters were often combined in the collating sequence as if they were all 'V' (or all 'W'), until 2006...After the rule was deprecated, some books and software continued to apply it. Visual Studio 2010 documentation shows the rule still in effect.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_alphabet)

Are you using Sweden as Windows regional setting? Then try changing it to another region to see if that causes it.

mjn01

Good detective work, redwing! I changed windows to english and the problem was gone (although not being able to use swedish in windows is kind of a problem it self ...) It appears that windows are using this old swedish sorting. In the official swedish dictonary v and w have been seperated since 2006. Strang. But thanks!

redwing

Did you have to change language? What if you change only region? Didn't it affect the sorting?

mjn01

Change of region didn't affect the sorting, no. I had to change language.

redwing

You guys should complain to MS. If it's 2006, what have they been doing for the last 10 years without correcting it?

mjn01

I found a way around this problem. For every album artist that starts with w: in edit > sorting > edit custom values > the sort-as-column I put "wz" in front of the album artist name (and if the name starts with "the", I write like this: "wz Who, The"). For every album artist that starts with a "v" I put "vx" (for example "vx Velvet Underground, The".

Now all artist with a "v" as first letter is sorted before all the artists that starts with a "w". I have to do this manually everytime I add a new artist with v or w as first letter - but what the heck. It works.