Author Topic: Advanced Auto Playlist assistance  (Read 3797 times)

Phaedrus

You mean like the people/roles such as mentioned here? : https://musicbrainz.org/release/e9fd5395-94a3-4c0c-8c7e-edb8e131cdfa

I went to the Guidelines and only found "Special Purpose Artist." Maybe I should have looked up an album. This looks like it will work a treat.

I would urge you to download and install Picard and try it on a few albums rather than picking through the MusicBrainz website for data. Like I said, you don't ultimately have to tag the files with the data it retrieves, but you can see your old data side by side with its proposed changes and compare the two for anything missing.

Point taken, and I will be doing this.

If your stuff is already tagged I wouldn't recommend retagging it with MBrainz. The data isn't that radically different or earth-shatteringly better. But going forward, especially in the interest of abandoning MediaMonkey and its plug-in if that's your intent, it's something to look at.

Quite the contrary. I looked at "The Girl is Mine" to compare to my tags. All I have is "Co-Producer," "Mixed By," and "Vocals" for Involved people. My tagging completeness fetish keeps getting me into so much trouble.

To complement frankz good info and tips: Just for the purpose of your original issue, you could setup Picard to only write the releasegroup tags. Just be warned that Picards learning curve is a bit steep (or long, or erratic, what should you call it) to accomplish such refinement, and you will need some scripting for it.

This is definitely a solution to my original query. It works, and I can shoe-horn it into my workflow.
I fear no learning curve. (Except the ones that can result in death or dismemberment if you fail.)

I would still rather find a way to use my Auto-Playlist for this. My desire is to have a folder of Auto-Playlists that I can cycle through to check for issues that have happened when I import files (If everything is good, they should be empty.)

To get a bit "meta," and explain my thought process; I am a Database / Network Administrator. I have a couple of databases that pull from an external flat file. Since I have no control over the input, I have no way of knowing if there was a dropped comma, or if the source has changed their field order, or name. To combat this, I have fields that will only accept the type of data I expect. If something like the above happens, the import will fail, and I will know to look at the incoming file. My data integrity is preserved.

I don't see any way to maintain my data integrity using MusicBee/MediaMonkey, or MusicBee/MusicBrainz. Since I can't check the input, I need to check the output. Auto-Playlists give me the ability to target the issues I've had in the past, so that I can at least check for those in the future. If I can get a couple more concepts down with the Auto-Playlist, I can find other things to look for as well.

As long as I'm on this, I also want to avoid application lock-in. My end goal is to be able to drop my file structure into any media manager, and have all of the information available. It looks like MusicBrainz is going to help me to this end.

TL;DR; I'm concerned about data integrity, and want a way to verify that the incoming tags are at least reasonable. Auto-playlists are my perfect solution. Ya'll suck, because now you've convinced me to dive down the MusicBrainz/Picard rabbit hole. :)
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear

hiccup

TL;DR; I'm concerned about data integrity, and want a way to verify that the incoming tags are at least reasonable. Auto-playlists are my perfect solution.

After your albums would have the album-id and releasegroup-id tags populated by MusicBrainz, the next step for MusicBee would be to be able to find duplicate albums using these tags.

But the challenges for that as I see it now:

- If you would be able to have MusicBee strictly looking for duplicate album-id's, you would not find duplicate albums which duplicates were released on a different label, in a different year, a different country etc.
It would only show duplicates that have the same ASIN/barcode/catalogue nr.

- If you would be able to have MusicBee strictly looking for duplicate releasegroup-id's, it would probably display all album tracks in your library.
(all tracks from an album will have the same releasegroup-id)

So that's probably still not a perfect or easy solution.

edit:
Finding duplicate track-id's would probably be very helpful.
That would only need a minor additional effort in looking if they are contained in duplicate albums.

But I was wondering, if you are meticulous in your tagging:
If you would create a virtual tag which has album artist and album title concatenated, wouldn't that be a step forward in achieving what you want?
Then you would only need MusicBee showing duplicates for that tag.
Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:56:54 PM by hiccup

Phaedrus

But I was wondering, if you are meticulous in your tagging: If you would create a virtual tag which has album artist and album title concatenated, would't that be a step forward in achieving what you want? Then you would only need MusicBee showing duplicates for that tag.

I am only meticulous to a point. I am confident that as I type this, I have mis-tagged tracks in my database. My meticulousity(?) only goes to rudimentary checking that I have the correct album, and the track names and numbers are "close enough." The rest is up to Discogs. (I'm sure this is the reason I need these checks.) If I didn't do it this way, I'd spend too much time tagging and not enough listening and exploring.

So, I purposely copied an album into MusicBee using Windows to copy the folder to my MusicBee input folder. I then imported it. If I concatenate Album Artist, and Album Title, all 30 tracks have the same value. (15 tracks on the album, times 2) Nothing differentiates it from a 30 track album.

I ran a similar scenario through the duplicate manager, and it came up with some random tracks. So I now have another handful of tracks to verify. (I don't like using the duplicate manager. I can see myself forgetting to click "Send to playlist" and having it delete tracks.) In this duplicate scenario, The duplicate manager will find my test album as a duplicate if I include the ISRC in the list of fields. But that doesn't help if I rip a different version, with a different ISRC.

As I consider this, I think the concatenation would be helpful if I was checking a specific album. I want to either check my whole library, or only albums I've recently imported. I don't know how to create a playlist that will show me all Albums from an Album Artist, where the Album Artist exists in another playlist at least once. (Recently added.) If I could create this playlist, I could run the Duplicate Manager against it, and find my duplicates. But, if I could create this playlist, I believe I could use the same playlist logic to create a playlist that shows me albums that have more than one Disc 1, Track 1.

With all that, I'm confident that MusicBrainz is my answer. So far I have some test files I processed, and I got good results. I just need to figure out how to get more information down to my tags. I fear this will only encourage me to get more music, because it will reduce my processing time to a minute or two an album from raw files to library integration. (I guess right now I'm at about 10 minutes all told right now.) Oh, and once I get it all working well, I will run the rest of my library through it. It's everything I wanted in a tagging program. Once I figure it out.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

Phaedrus

I'm just giddy. It found information on albums that Discogs never did.

So, if I understand this correctly; I can create scripts and logic in Picard to auto process track information so that all of my artists will be Identical? I can create logic to have secondary artists moved to separate tags? ("<artist 1> Presenting <artist 2> vs. <artist 3> Feat. <artist 4>" to: <Artist>, <Guest Artist>, <Guest Artist>, <Guest Artist>) It will give me all the information about the tracks, no matter what version I have? I don't have to sort through multiple releases to find more information?

If the answer to the first two is yes, I'm ecstatic. If the answer to all four is yes, I'm gonna need a cigarette and a nap.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

frankz

I'm just giddy. It found information on albums that Discogs never did.

So, if I understand this correctly; I can create scripts and logic in Picard to auto process track information so that all of my artists will be Identical? I can create logic to have secondary artists moved to separate tags? ("<artist 1> Presenting <artist 2> vs. <artist 3> Feat. <artist 4>" to: <Artist>, <Guest Artist>, <Guest Artist>, <Guest Artist>) It will give me all the information about the tracks, no matter what version I have? I don't have to sort through multiple releases to find more information?

If the answer to the first two is yes, I'm ecstatic. If the answer to all four is yes, I'm gonna need a cigarette and a nap.
You may also need an adult beverage (go to town, but plug-in Standardise Performers may drive you over the top):
https://picard.musicbrainz.org/plugins/

Phaedrus

And so begins another Love / Hate relationship with software.

Thanks all. I guess I won't need that playlist after all.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

hiccup

And so begins another Love / Hate relationship with software.
Thanks all. I guess I won't need that playlist after all.

Enjoy the rabbit hole.
And be sure to share any further amazing discoveries that might be helpful to other rabbits?

Phaedrus

I believe that this thread is no longer about the original question, so I am abandoning it.

I started a new thread in General to continue the conversation.

The Road to Perdition, or how I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love MusicBrainz
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier