Author Topic: Auto-retrieve artwork stored in the parent / same level folder  (Read 5173 times)

redwing

It would be great if there's an option to tell MB to auto-retrieve artwork stored in the parent folder.

<CD 1> - Tracks
<CD 2> - Tracks
Cover.jpg

Also in the same level folder named "Covers".

<CD 1> - Tracks
<CD 2> - Tracks
<Covers> - Cover.jpg

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P

redwing

I'm requesting one more scenario for box sets that are using the same front cover for all albums inside it without individual cover for each album. The location of the box front cover is not uniform for every box set. I see three most common patterns: either first or last album contains "Covers" folder, or "Covers" folder is placed on the same level of albums. The problem is some albums contain tracks just inside it whereas other albums contain them inside sub-folders "CD 1", "CD 2", etc. which makes them two levels away from the cover image.

So maybe the user could move the covers folder manually to the same level as albums if it's located in a different place, and then MB could take care of the rest.

<Album 1> - Tracks
<Album 2> - <CD 1> - Tracks
                      <CD 2> - Tracks
<Covers> - Box Front.jpg

Steven

• Administrator
I have been looking into this and am planning to implement it such that you can specify additional folders to search over and above the current folder for the music file.
A folder can be specified as a relative (or absolute) path to the music file and can include tags in the construction of the folder path eg.
Code
../<Grouping>/
The order of precedence for the primary picture would be first matching artwork in the current file folder and then the additional folders would be searched. All matching artwork files would be associated with the music file.
When additional folders are specified, you wont be able to set the include sub-folders ie. you can either set "include sub-folders" or specify additional search folders but not both.

Does anyone have any comments on that approach?

redwing

Can that approach support all the three example cases? So when it searches one level of path, can it search either pictures or pictures inside <Covers> folder on the level as well? If that's possible, doesn't that include searching a sub-folder of the current path level as well?

Steven

• Administrator
you would be able to specify multiple additional folders. Cover.* would need to be enabled in the retrieval filters

<CD 1> - Tracks
<CD 2> - Tracks
Cover.jpg
Code
../

<CD 1> - Tracks
<CD 2> - Tracks
<Covers> - Cover.jpg
Code
../Covers/

<Album 1> - Tracks
                 <CD 2> - Tracks
<Covers> - Box Front.jpg
Code
../../Covers/

redwing

Then what if I make it search <Covers> sub-folder on the same level as well?
Can't I just add one more rule?

Code
/Covers/

redwing

<Album 1> - Tracks
                    <CD 2> - Tracks
<Covers> - Box Front.jpg
Code
../../Covers/

And you meant that case requires two rules: "../Covers/" and "../../Covers/", right?
Can you support "*Front.*" filter as well to cover such case as "Box Front.jpg"?

Steven

• Administrator
Then what if I make it search <Covers> sub-folder on the same level as well?
Can't I just add one more rule?

Code
/Covers/
Code
./Covers/
or
Code
Covers/

for the last question, yes it would need 2 rules
and no, "*Front.*" is not supported but "*.*" is

redwing

I'm testing this now.

When additional folders are specified, you wont be able to set the include sub-folders ie. you can either set "include sub-folders" or specify additional search folders but not both.

I tried setting the both, and it seems it's working both for sub-folders and additional folders. Is it supported now?
Also the slashes in your code examples should be all backslashes, right?