Author Topic: New to Musicbee...which version to download  (Read 8714 times)

markvet

I have windows 10 operating system.  The download screen gives me the option of installer edition (installs on your windows system drive)  or windows store edition.  There isn't any additional explanation to help me decide.  They both appear to work with Windows.  I'm not a techie, thanks for the help!

Alumni

Windows 10 users should install the store version, just for the sake of convenience.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The main advantage of using the direct installer rather than the Windows Store version is that you can update it with the most recent patches, which take longer to come through on the Windows Store.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

e-motiv

For any other users reading this and not wanting to make the same mistake as I did when going from normal install to Windows Store:
Don't use Store (or portable?) edition if:
- you want to regularly install-update with betas (without much tweaking)
- you don't want to transfer your settings from earlier install (without much tweaking)

EDITED 2018-04-24
Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:21:03 PM by e-motiv
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig

sveakul

For any other users reading this and not wanting to make the same mistake as I did.
Don't use Store (or porable) edition if:
- you want to regularly update with betas (without much tweaking)
- you don't want to transfer your settings from earlier install (without much tweaking)

Well, I use the Portable edition and haven't had a single problem with updating with the beta 3.2 .x patches almost every other day;  you're just overwriting a few files, and all your existing settings stay intact.  I do not use the Windows Store edition so I can't speak to that.  I'm talking about the patches included in moderators phred and psychoadept's post signatures that link to here:

For 3.2 patch updates:  http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip

Or if sticking with 3.1:  http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

phred

• Global Moderator
Both the regular install version, and the portable version, allow updating via patches. It is -only- the Windows store version where you have to wait for an 'official' update to be released.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

e-motiv

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought the portable was the same as Windows Store, regarding folders, as I read on another forum topic, and presumed the same problem. Neither did I realize about the copy-over patches existance.
But I forgot to mention, and I don't know if it's the same for both, but it's about going from an old normal install version to a new Windows Store version.   Sorry, I use to live in my own mind too much, often forgetting to point out important parts of what I want to say.  :-[  :-[
Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:27:04 PM by e-motiv
  Developing @ e-motiv.net       --       Musicbee plugins: Speak Back - Ghost Tracks - Radio Dig