Author Topic: "Instrumental" not "No lyrics"  (Read 6891 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Not that I'm much invested in this, but what would you want to see there when a track contains vocals, but no actual words?
(vocalizing, scat, yodeling, etc.)

I don't think you can call that 'instrumental'?
Forgot to comment on this earlier  :o
Like any system of categorisation, there is always those borderline ones.
Like Hocus Pocus by 70's prog rock group Focus.  It's yodelling and operatic vocalisations but it's classed as an Instrumental.
Same as the disco hit Fly, Robin, Fly by Silver Convention. Despite having recognisable lyrics, it's still listed as an Instrumental.
Maybe it's because the lyrics only contain 6 words sung repeatedly!  :D
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Bee-liever

It's more like telling MB "I don't care about the lyrics of the track. Stop searching it when it plays".
Hmm.  So maybe in addition to my original wish, for redwing we also need a per track override of the auto-tagging "auto-retrieve missing lyrics for the playing track".
Maybe on the Settings tab of tag editor?

redwing

It's more like telling MB "I don't care about the lyrics of the track. Stop searching it when it plays".
Hmm.  So maybe in addition to my original wish, for redwing we also need a per track override of the auto-tagging "auto-retrieve missing lyrics for the playing track".
Maybe on the Settings tab of tag editor?

So you think I am misusing the "lyrics?" tag that can be better served with another new option? I don't know how you're using the tag, but I don't think it's limited to a certain set of usages. It's up to the user just like all other settings of MB and I'm very content with its current functionality.

BTW what do you think of my suggestion?

If the possible confusion between "No lyrics found" and "No lyrics" is the only issue here, how about adding some special characters to the latter something like "<< NO LYRICS >>"?

Would that be enough or you need more special characters or coloring to be able to discern them from each other?

Bee-liever

Let's look at this wish;
5 +1's and me = 6 yes
hiccup = 1 undecided
redwing = 1 no

I offer a viable alternative to remedy the situation and what do I get:
Would that be enough or you need more special characters or coloring to be able to discern them from each other?

redwing

I offer a viable alternative to remedy the situation

Sorry but I didn't take that as a constructive suggestion.

Anyway I think the real problem with your request is that the broad usage/meaning/context of "No lyrics" display cannot be reduced to the narrow "instrumental". They can be the same only in certain context/occasions and not the same in more occasions.

Yeah, I know I'm the only one speaking against your wish here. I can live with it if that's implemented, but I know I will never like it.

Bee-liever

Who'd of thought a simple wording change would be such a contentious issue.  :o

Maybe the best I can hope for is a setting where you can type some text of your choosing to replace "No lyrics", if you so desire.  8)

redwing

Maybe the best I can hope for is a setting where you can type some text of your choosing to replace "No lyrics", if you so desire.  8)

+1
Great suggestion!

Steven

• Administrator
yes thats what i was going to do, except it will probably just be something you can directly edit in the settings file and not the gui

edit:
it will be:
<LYP_NoLyricsText>xxx</LYP_NoLyricsText>
Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:24:28 PM by Steven

Bee-liever

Thank you!

I'm glad something positive did come out of that round of intense conversations.

redwing

<LYP_NoLyricsText>xxx</LYP_NoLyricsText>

Thanks!
I tried some words and it worked. And then I wanted to change it to something else, but I can't.
It just sticks to the initial value. I also tried removing the line to turn it to the default value, but still no change.
How can I override the initial value?

Steven

• Administrator
You need to edit the value when MB is closed otherwise it will be overwritten when MB exits.
The value in that setting is display only when the lyrics is flagged as disabled

redwing

Strange, that works now, but it didn't when I tried the same.
Perhaps MB process wasn't completely closed for some reason.

Bee-liever

Excellent!
I now have it displaying "Instrumental track"  8)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Not that I'm much invested in this, but what would you want to see there when a track contains vocals, but no actual words?
(vocalizing, scat, yodeling, etc.)

I don't think you can call that 'instrumental'?

Isn't English wonderful?
Strange word 'scat' huh:

1). Droppings, especially those of carnivorous mammals.
2). Improvised jazz singing in which the voice is used in imitation of an instrument.
3). A small deep-bodied silvery fish that lives in inshore and estuarine waters of the Indo-Pacific.
4). Go away; leave.

Not sure what sounds funniest, scat or droppings  ::)
Just saying!