Author Topic: "Instrumental" not "No lyrics"  (Read 6794 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
When you mark a track as having no lyrics, could MB display "Instrumental" rather than "No lyrics" please.

Too often, when I just quickly glance at the lyrics panel, I read "No lyrics found" instead.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
If the reason for 'no lyrics' is that the track is an instrumental, then fine.
If it's just a matter of not having found, or entered, lyrics, then the field should remain blank.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

dgbx

If it's just a matter of not having found, or entered, lyrics, then the field should remain blank.

+1

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

To clarify, it's this panel here:

not the actual lyrics tag

hiccup

Not that I'm much invested in this, but what would you want to see there when a track contains vocals, but no actual words?
(vocalizing, scat, yodeling, etc.)

I don't think you can call that 'instrumental'?

redwing

It's a little confusing what field people are referring to in each of the posts: "lyrics" or "lyrics?".
I'm gonna add one more confusion.

A bigger problem for me is MB displays "No lyrics found" if the lyrics provider supplies "instrumental" as the lyrics.
It doesn't matter if I know the song well, but if not I can't be sure whether the song is indeed instrumental or retrieving lyrics has failed for some reason. Then I have to verify that by visiting the website: what a waste of time!

How about adding "(instrumental)" to lyrics field in such cases rather than leaving it empty?

Then the current "No lyrics" for "lyrics?" field display (the exact value is "N [no lyrics]") could remain as is.
Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:32:21 PM by redwing

Bee-liever

Aaaaarrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!
Why has this become so complicated? (and where is the banging-head-against-wall emoji?)

All I wished for was if you have the lyrics panel active and track is already marked as having "No lyrics" than the display will be Instrumental not No lyrics.

No changing any tags, just purely and simply, what is displayed in the lyrics panel.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, since this would be based on user input in the "mark as having no lyrics" box, the questions that hiccup and redwing raise, while worth taking up in a broader context, aren't critical here.  If the track contains vocalization that doesn't have lyrics, they can put anything they want in the lyrics field to indicate that.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

If the track contains vocalization that doesn't have lyrics, they can put anything they want in the lyrics field to indicate that.

Then why not just put "instrumental" to the lyrics field of all of your instrumental songs instead? (actually I suggested this as a better way of tagging lyrics for instrumental songs)

I don't want to see "instrumental" for most of my classical music (no, many of them are not) nor want to add "No lyrics" as lyrics to all of them.

If the possible confusion between "No lyrics found" and "No lyrics" is the only issue here, how about adding some special characters to the latter something like "<< NO LYRICS >>"?
Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:17:59 AM by redwing

Bee-liever

Then why not just put "instrumental" to the lyrics field of all of your instrumental songs instead?
Mainly because this breaks the Lyrics? function, returning "Y [unsynched]" instead of "N [no lyrics]" (as "instrumental" is not actually a lyric, just another way of saying the the track has "No lyrics")

Also, an instrumental is any musical composition or recording, primarily without lyrics or singing.
It can be from any genre; classical, rock, avant-garde, baroque, pop, etc, etc, etc....

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't want to see "instrumental" for most of my classical music (no, many of them are not) nor want to add "No lyrics" as lyrics to all of them.

Do you have a lot of classical music that doesn't have lyrics but isn't instrumental?  I can't even think of examples that would fall into that gap right now.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Do you have a lot of classical music that doesn't have lyrics but isn't instrumental?  I can't even think of examples that would fall into that gap right now.

Marking as having no lyrics does not necessarily mean it has no lyrics. It's more like telling MB "I don't care about the lyrics of the track. Stop searching it when it plays".
In my collection, lots of operas, choral, vocal-genre tracks are marked with that tag, along with pure instrumental tracks, not because they have no lyrics but because there's no point tagging lyrics for them in a language that I'm not familiar with or they're not easily available from the web sources. But you wouldn't call Gregorian chant "instrumental", would you?