Author Topic: Add ability to capture a radio stream  (Read 3410 times)

sveakul

I would like to see the ability to save radio streams in their original format and broken into tracks.  I know in the past Steven has expressed concern about staying within the rules of Icecast and others as far as not  "offering users ways to save streams", but as I understand it their statement applies only to content providers actually hosting streams on their servers--but perhaps my interpretation is wrong.  The BASS developer's XMPlay contains such functionality, for instance.  Thanks for your consideration.

frankz

Streamripper can do this and create a relay proxy that you can open in MB. Not a great solution, but a workaround.

http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/index.php

sveakul

Thanks frankz for the response!  Though I'm aware of the workaround you describe, my listening habits take me from stream to stream rather quickly, and when I "land" on track that pushes my "A-ha!  THAT sounds good!" button, I would like to be able to quickly start/stop a capture.  I hope Steven will consider implementing such a feature if it doesn't cause him any T-O-S concerns.

Twlf

You can also try Rarma Radio for that purpose, it plays & records multiple radio stations at once and switches between them with no delay.

Don't know if it can cut the stream into individual songs (where supported), but given the radio bitrates tend to hover in between 64-192*, it's better for music discovery than archival anyway.

*(should we have a topic for high bitrate & lossless radio stations?)

frankz

*(should we have a topic for high bitrate & lossless radio stations?)
Yes, please. I'm having a heck of a time finding good ones.

sveakul

Thanks Twlf.  But, it sure would be nice to not have to switch to another player every time I'm hearing something on a radio stream I would like to capture.  I do this mainly to grab something I can come back to later to further explore that artist when I find I'm enjoying a song not previously known to me, even though it's bound to be a partial edit 90% of the time.  With MusicBee being the epitomy of a "complete package" on most else, I'm hoping this valuable feature will be added to its Radio functionality.

BTW I'm "in" like frankz on starting a lossless/high bitrate station topic on the "Beyond MusicBee" forum if you want to do it!

patial

I think the suggestion that made sveakul is very important for most of users, so +1 from me

thanks

sveakul

As suggested above by frankz, I wrote up the use of Streamripper with MusicBee in the "Tips and Tricks" forum today.  Hopefully this will do until we get a native MusicBee radio capture plugin!