Author Topic: "Access is denied" the second time MusicBee is run  (Read 3091 times)

jjmartin

I have determined that after a reboot, MusicBee works fine the first time I run it. But the second time, when exited, it cannot save the library database, access is denied. Any ideas what is wrong?

redwing

I had the same issue a while ago and it turned out one of my security apps were blocking it. Try whitelising MB from your security apps to see if that helps.

jjmartin

More info: this morning it failed the first time I ran it, after turning the computer on.
I notice one thing: the error message says
"C:\Users\John\Music\MusicBee\MusicBeeLibrary.mbl"
but the actual location is
"C:\Users\John\My Music\MusicBee\MusicBeeLibrary.mbl"

I have AVG on my computer. Wasn't able to find any place in it to whitelist.

I am planning to put my CD collection onto hard drive. I want to use MusicBee instead of iTunes because I have hundreds of home-made CDs I created from LPs in 2004. I went to a lot of trouble (typing with 2 fingers) to put track listings on the CDs, but iTunes does NOT read text on CDs. MusicBee does. Hope I can get this problem fixed.

Steven

• Administrator
I have AVG on my computer. Wasn't able to find any place in it to whitelist.
you will need to find it as Avast is currently silently crapping all over MusicBee at the moment since the windows fall update

jjmartin

I added exceptions to AVG:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\*
C:\Users\John\Music\MusicBee\*   (as in the error message)
No change.
Then I remembered the library file is really in a slightly different location,
   so I changed the exception to:
C:\Users\John\My Music\MusicBee\*
Still bad.

I rebooted after every change to AVG.

Any more ideas?

redwing

Try a portable installation to see what happens. If that still occurs, whitelist it too.

redwing

For the record, in my case it was Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta and it blocked my library file for my portable installation. It was right after Creators Update and it also started to block many other apps including Chrome, so I had to uninstall it at that point. If you search the forum, there's a similar report: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20447.msg121295#msg121295

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I'm having issues on my work laptop (Symantec, which is not Norton), like this. I found that copying the latest 3.1 patch into my portable installation is a viable workaround when this happens, even if it's the same version. As sympathetic as my IT team is, they won't let me whitelist.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

jjmartin

I think it's fixed!
I forgot about Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware being on my computer.
I removed it and MusicBee runs ok.

Wonderwhy it thinks MusicBee is ransomware?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've learned a few things.

redwing

So it's still doing it. You could have just whitelist MB though if it was the only affected app.

Steven

• Administrator
to the people who are having issues, most vendors have a method by which you can request software is whitelisted on their side