Author Topic: logging, troubleshooting launch freeze  (Read 1681 times)

Mr. Trev

After a few weeks of running fine, for whatever reason MB is back to freezing when launch. I've been pretty much been having this problem ever since I've had to buy a laptop with Win 10.

It'll launch as far as the UI, then stops responding. Is there any way to log the launch (there's nothing in the error log) so I can figure out what on earth is making this happen? This is getting beyond annoying

I'm running MB version 3.1.6529 (portable). Win 10. 1709 16299.64

Steven

• Administrator
i wont be able to help and suggest you look at using another application

redwing

I don't think it's about Windows 10 as most people including myself are running on it without any issues.
Most likely some apps you're running including security apps.

Mr. Trev

i wont be able to help and suggest you look at using another application

But that's the thing, I want to keep using Musicbee - it's one of the reasons I haven't ditched Windows for Linux

I don't think it's about Windows 10 as most people including myself are running on it without any issues.
Most likely some apps you're running including security apps.

The only major difference between my 2 laptops is the OS. My old system is running Win 7 and I've never had as many issues running MB on that one. Thinking back, the majority of the problems happened after the "creators update" maybe I should roll back - which might not be possible with the way MS is playing God now.

I'm not looking for anybody to solve this outright for me, just some advice/methods I can use to better troubleshoot what's going on

Mr. Trev

I should've mentioned I've had my entire Musicbee folder excluded in my AV (Panda AV) from day one. My bad(?)

Steven

• Administrator
for Avast you have to amend the behavioral settings, not the folders. It may be the same for Panda AV

redwing

You could also try a clean re-installation of Windows. It can clear up all sorts of bizarre issues that can be caused by installing and uninstalling apps and drivers, registry corruption, malware issues, etc. Actually I'm doing it once in several months and every time it feels like I bought a new machine.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
right-click the windows logo and select Event Viewer and see if there is anything in your Windows logs for when MB freezes
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Mr. Trev

You could also try a clean re-installation of Windows. It can clear up all sorts of bizarre issues that can be caused by installing and uninstalling apps and drivers, registry corruption, malware issues, etc. Actually I'm doing it once in several months and every time it feels like I bought a new machine.

I totally agree about the clean-install, I would like to jump of that merry-go-round though (should we really be expected to do a clean reinstall every couple months).
I did a fresh install with the FCU release and things were running great until a couple of days ago. I don't remember changing anything (drivers, whatnot) in that time, but I did grab the latest MB patch. I have a backup of my MB folder from before that (I knew I went portable for a reason)… so maybe I'll copy that across and see if it helps

@Bee-liever  thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out the Event Viewer next time