Author Topic: Sidebar tag editor  (Read 22461 times)

redwing

I just tried with the tag editor docked at the bottom and it was possible to reproduce the bug with vertical tag editor disabled.
Without any tag editor opened, the bug doesn't occur.

Could it be possible the implementation of selected/playing track mode of tag editor has caused this bug?

Steven

• Administrator
could you run this debug version and when it happens see if there are any new errors logged

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0laf6m24bazf07x/MusicBeeDebug.zip

redwing

redwing

Tried multiple times, but it doesn't write anything when the bug occurs.

redwing

It happens in Tracks view as well with no grouping setting only with tag editor at the bottom.
Again, no errors are getting logged.

redwing

I think I found what causes the issue: it's Track Information panel in selected track mode.
When it's playing track mode, the bug never occurs.
It only occurs when it's selected track mode, which looks often conflicting with tag editor in whatever mode and type.

redwing

Also the vertical tag editor in selected track mode auto-switches to playing track when playing track changes with highlight playing track option enabled. I think that shouldn't happen like other types of tag editor even when the option is enabled.

Another bug I noticed is sort tags don't get added to vertical tag editor.

Steven

• Administrator
I think I found what causes the issue: it's Track Information panel in selected track mode.
When it's playing track mode, the bug never occurs.
It only occurs when it's selected track mode, which looks often conflicting with tag editor in whatever mode and type.
Using selected track mode for the Track Info panel is how i have been testing. I think i am going to leave this unsolved for now as i have spent enough time on this already, although the information provided will be very useful if i do stumble upon the issue

Steven

• Administrator
Also the vertical tag editor in selected track mode auto-switches to playing track when playing track changes with highlight playing track option enabled. I think that shouldn't happen like other types of tag editor even when the option is enabled.
MB blocks the auto-select in the main panel in the main panel tag editor is visible, so i will do the same if the vertical tag editor is visible

Another bug I noticed is sort tags don't get added to vertical tag editor.
thats fixed for the next update
Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:04:59 PM by Steven

redwing

The bug still occurs. And the highlighting on multiple files again triggered Bitdefender to think MB as a potential threat and quarantine it. So it was never based on the patch file's content but this bug. Actually I had asked Bitdefender about whether the quarantine was based on its content or behavior and they said the URL was clean (I'm gonna remove the posts about the incident). Now I have to exclude MB from the av while this bug persists.

Just to make sure, I submitted the file instead of the URL this time. Also I think it could be not the bug per se but my continuous clicking on random files to reproduce the bug that triggers the AV's reaction. That's because with track info panel in playing track mode the bug never occurs but it still quarantines MB. Anyway I'll report back if there's any progress (I won't be available until this weekend).
Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:55:16 PM by redwing

redwing

Got a reply from Bitdefender:

I submitted MusicBee.exe file two days ago following your suggestion.
Can you tell me whether the file was clean and if so why it got quarantined?
-------
The file is clean, but is detected based on its behavior, which is considered suspicious by our heuristic filters.
We advise you to add a local exception for the file.

Steven

• Administrator
Got a reply from Bitdefender:

I submitted MusicBee.exe file two days ago following your suggestion.
Can you tell me whether the file was clean and if so why it got quarantined?
-------
The file is clean, but is detected based on its behavior, which is considered suspicious by our heuristic filters.
We advise you to add a local exception for the file.
Thanks for contacting them. I consider their response quite poor. They didn't even make a statement that they would try and fix it - not really giving their clients using MusicBee a lot of consideration as they will have no clue what is going on, or what to do about it.

So it was only happening randomly when selecting multiple files for the tag editor? How bizarre is that!

redwing

To fix what? They said the file is clean. Before that, they told me the URL is clean as well.

It's possible that the AV's quarantine is as evidence of the bug I reported. I suspect something's wrong with your tag editor implementation especially regarding selected/playing track mode. It might be an unusual file access from MB that triggers the reaction. I should add that when the bug occurs clicking each file feels a little sticky as if each of the selected file won't let it go. Maybe the remaining highlights on multiple files indicates indeed MB tries to treat all of them as selected files rather than being a simple display bug.

Steven

• Administrator
the reason you might see some lag is because it might still be loading data from the previous file in a background thread.
In any case, could you try this version to see if it triggers Bitdefender - i have undone a recent change to check for read-only files in the edit list

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip
Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:13:06 PM by Steven