Author Topic: Sidebar tag editor  (Read 22732 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I am looking at the moment at implementing a basic tag editor that is docked in a sidebar and vertically oriented (imagine like mp3 tag).
The main usage that i am looking to achieve is something where you can quickly set some specified attributes about the playing song eg. set the Mood tags; a Custom tag; Rating etc. The panel would be collapsible so could easily be minimised to be out of the way or restored.

I really want to keep this simple and focused on this task but I know inevitably people will want the full tag editor functionality which will make it much more complex to implement.

So my question is do you think what I described is going to useful without having a full tag editor (eg. it wont handle the current selected files or multiple files) ?

phred

• Global Moderator
While I can see some use for this, especially as intended (i.e. quickly changing/updating a now playing tag) I doubt I would use it much. I much prefer the flexibility of the full tag editor. I'm not asking for the new 'node' to be full. Simply that I, personally, would continue using the full editor.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

alec.tron

To get more opionions - if I do not have access to the custom tags I maintain - which is the ones I am usually editing if any as most other (artist, album, year, etc) come from auto-taggers - an additional docked tag editor would be of very little use to me personally or my workflow.

Imo there would be more value in streamlining the "in-line" tag editing which to me is the most direct & intuitive way to edit tags, but in its' current state somewhat half-developed as is, or rather different columns show different behaviour (also, imo the drop down box behaviour should ideally be user-configurable):
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22799.msg133600#msg133600

Me few cents.
Churs.
c.
Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:04:38 AM by alec.tron

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
if I do not have access to the custom tags I maintain - which is the ones I am usually editing if any as most other (artist, album, year, etc) come from auto-taggers - an additional docked tag editor would be of very little use to me personally or my workflow.

Ditto this.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

It that's only for editing playing track, why not add those as additional context menus for the player bar?
If it's not working for selected/multiple tracks, I'd only rarely use it.
For a vertical tag editor, there's already a great request of that with many supports from users: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=19939.0

frankz

Current in-line edit functionality is right there at your fingertips when you need to do quick tag edits on the fly and is fine for my needs as is.  When I need to get more intense in tagging, I don't mind going to the big editor.

Steven

• Administrator
The fields that would be editable would be configurable. But the feedback so far doesnt seem to indicate interest in the use-case i described

Erik Paelman

The full tag editor is very much ok. Please do not delete it. The floating window should be slightly larger or adaptable.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I am looking at the moment at implementing a basic tag editor that is docked in a sidebar and vertically oriented (imagine like mp3 tag).
The main usage that i am looking to achieve is something where you can quickly set some specified attributes about the playing song eg. set the Mood tags; a Custom tag; Rating etc. The panel would be collapsible so could easily be minimised to be out of the way or restored.

I would probably use it more as a quick way to check extra tags that I use, but are not normally displayed in the view I'm using, have been set.
I'd be more inclined to open the main tag editor to then set them as they tend to be album-wide tag settings.

Current in-line edit functionality is right there at your fingertips when you need to do quick tag edits on the fly and is fine for my needs as is.
If there was a way to quickly toggle the 'enable direct editing of tags in the main panel' preference, then this would be my preferred way for single track tag editing.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ToitoineFou

I'd be very much interested in a sidebar editor for "descriptive" tags per track like moods or for performers editing (which can be difficult when they differ from track to track).

+1 for customizable tags to display there.

alec.tron

The fields that would be editable would be configurable

On first read, I didn't get that these would be fully configurable to the users' needs - with that in mind, this suggestion does become more interesting to me as the main tags I access on a regular basis do live on tab-2 (Tag (2) ) of the main editor and are a bit cumbersome to reach (Hit Enter to open tag editor -> click "Tag (2)" tab -> click field one wants to edit -> add/change value - which could be much more streamlined imo).
So this could work for me as a nice feature if this gets me quick-er access to around 7-10 custom tags...
The one thing that does worry me for Stephen, that this could be dev time spend on features that aren't going to be used, is that quite often I do need multi-file tag access for tag editing; and IF I only need to do single file tag edits, I think I still prefer the in-line editing capabilities in column view even in its' current somewhat mixed state...

Which leads me to:
Current in-line edit functionality is right there at your fingertips when you need to do quick tag edits on the fly and is fine for my needs as is.
If there was a way to quickly toggle the 'enable direct editing of tags in the main panel' preference, then this would be my preferred way for single track tag editing.

+1 for the quick toggle 'enable direct editing of tags in the main panel' suggestion, but I've said that elsewhere a few times as I would really love for MB to be easily able to jump between its' 2 main 'states' i.e. a edit & a non-edit mode (including disabling the star rating click-ability!).

Churs.
c.
Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:52:45 PM by alec.tron

vzell

The full tag editor is very much ok. Please do not delete it. The floating window should be slightly larger or adaptable.

+1 for making this resizable (and remember the last size)

Steven

• Administrator
i have now implemented a tag editor panel that can be docked in any side panel via the Panel Arrangement dialog.
It can be set to show the Playing track or Selected files.
The editable fields are configurable and the panel can be minimised

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip

For a future update, i plan to enhance the field definitions so you can set custom tags as a List type. When a custom field is set as a list type will mean the valid values are displayed as a drop-down and you can tick one or more values (like Mood or Occasions is currently)

ost

Great news! Thank you, Steven!

Can you check Album Artist field, please? It's not showed when selected and Tag Editor docked at the Right Sidebar.

Steven

• Administrator