Author Topic: Keep auto-complete list updated in real time  (Read 2718 times)

redwing

It seems auto-complete list gets updated only at restart. So if you have made some changes to existing tags, auto-complete list values are not up-to-date, and you have to restart MB frequently while tagging.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
it should be working for: artist, album, composer, genres, publisher, grouping, and custom tags.
I will have a look for other fields that have been overlooked, but if you are saying those fields are not working (when updated in the tag editor) then something unexpected is going on

redwing

It adds new values, but doesn't remove no longer existing values until exit.
Also please support title field for updating. It's very useful for tagging classical music.
Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:17:30 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
i wont implement removing values, one reason being it can be useful to add something back in removed by mistake.
I will implement title (plus anything else i find thats been overlooked)

redwing

Another minor thing is when you're typing into artist splitter box, auto-complete is not supported right after a semi-colon while it's supported for artist tag box.

BTW are there any differences in its functionality (including updating) between using tag editor and direct editing on the main panel?

frankz

On the topic of auto-complete asks, one thing has always bothered me is that when you are in the "Multiple Artist Split" screen, the drop-down menu for the roles / instruments are "Artist," "Guest Artist," etc., but for some reason if you start typing "Art..." in that drop down, "Artist" is not in the auto-complete list.  Same with "Guest Artist," etc.

Not a big problem, but weird behavior.

Steven

• Administrator
i wont implement removing values, one reason being it can be useful to add something back in removed by mistake.
I will implement title (plus anything else i find thats been overlooked)
thats done now for the next v3.2 update

BTW are there any differences in its functionality (including updating) between using tag editor and direct editing on the main panel?
i expect so in terms of auto-complete lists - i will look at this at a later date. There should be no differences in terms of updating

On the topic of auto-complete asks, one thing has always bothered me is that when you are in the "Multiple Artist Split" screen, the drop-down menu for the roles / instruments are "Artist," "Guest Artist," etc., but for some reason if you start typing "Art..." in that drop down, "Artist" is not in the auto-complete list.  Same with "Guest Artist," etc.
Thats also done for the next v3.2 update

redwing

Here are a few more requests about auto-complete list especially to help typing in composer's name more easily:

1. Ignore diacritic mark when listing auto-complete items. For instance if you type in "be" it doesn't list "Béla Bartók" as an available item. You have to only type "b" and then find the name at the end of the list. Would be great if I type "be" then it could show all items starting with "b" plus not only "e" but "e" with a diacritic mark.

2. Support an option to add sort-values too to auto-complete list for the tag. It's for typing composer name with sort composer value. Currently you have to remember all composer's first name to get helped by auto-complete list when entering composer tag, but it sort of defeats the purpose of using a sort-tag. If we were remembering all first name for composers just like artists, why use sort composer tag? I'd like to just type "bizet" and see "Georges Bizet" too as an available item in the list.

3. If the user adds new sort tag values to Preferences> Sorting/Grouping> Artist/Album sort tag dialog, add those to auto-complete list too when the user hits apply. Then it would be useful because the user could supply pre-defined tag values along with its sort values to auto-complete list. If implemented, I could post a list of most popular 200 composer's name and their sort values on the Tips and Tricks board. Then standardized composer names would be readily available as auto-complete items if people just copy and paste the list to the sort artist dialog, without having to find a correct full name and typing sort value manually.
Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:39:45 AM by redwing

redwing

1. Ignore diacritic mark when listing auto-complete items. For instance if you type in "be" it doesn't list "Béla Bartók" as an available item. You have to only type "b" and then find the name at the end of the list. Would be great if I type "be" then it could show all items starting with "b" plus not only "e" but "e" with a diacritic mark.

Can you support just #1? It's real pain to enter artist/composer name with diacritic mark. I'm currently using copy and paste instead, and it takes lots of time.

Steven

• Administrator
i did that a while ago so it should already be working - did you try recently?

redwing

You're right. It's working already. I did try it occasionally but probably not very recently.
Thanks a lot!