Author Topic: Artwork Issues  (Read 1530 times)

JJF451

I tried to update the software and copy the patch files and think I was successful.  I'm having a very minor issue, but it's annoying as hell because I'm using your software to update the artwork in my extensive collection.  It's pretty easy, love the software overall after dealing with the likes of iTunes and various other garbage (thank you!), but this oddity has been bugging me.  When I play a song back the artwork will occasionally flicker back to the old artwork I replaced.  It maintains in the window above and along the bottom in miniature form, but in the big window it'll alternate every 30 seconds or so.  I know you've had at least one person approach you on this in the past and you suggested a patch.  I feel like I tried that and there was no change except to some of the pictures in the band folders down the left hand column.  There usually, as far as I can tell, is a picture of the album at the top of the folder alphabetically.  Some of them changed to photos I have never seen, but the actual artwork attached to each individual album seems to be where I want it, that is until it toggles back and forth during playback.  I'm on V3.1.6512.  Do I still have to patch this version to get this thing stabilized?  To your knowledge, where is the old artwork still residing?  I was hoping it wasn't still attached to the actual files vs retained in some sort MB software memory.  Anyway, I apologize profusely if you are dealing with this same issue for the billionth time.  Thanks in advance.  - John

frankz

Sounds like you've either got more than one image embedded in the file or an image embedded in the file and another image in the folder where the album is.  If there's more than one picture for a track, it will cycle through them.

You can check artwork attached to a file by bringing up the "Edit" screen (Shift+Enter or right-click menu) and checking the "Artwork" tab. If you hover over each image, it will tell you the size and dimensions. Delete any you don't want and save.

If there are no extra pictures embedded in your files, they're probably still in the folders where your tracks are stored.  You'll have to browse there and delete them if this is the case.

You can set how images are handled (embed vs external file) in Edit->Preferences->Tags(1)->artwork storage.

I thought there was a way to disable the image cycling, which you probably don't want to do so you can easily find the problem ones and clear them out, but I'll be damned if I can find that setting now.

EDIT:
To disable image cycling, in the Now Playing screen right-click the artwork that's displayed and deselect "Enable Image Rotation." 
Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:44:35 PM by frankz

JJF451

Thank you Frankz!...You nailed it!...I was so frustrated.  I automatically assumed the new embedded artwork would erase the old artwork, but I went back to the file in question and sure enough, there were two files most of the time.  I feel like I upgraded some files and the old artwork disappeared, but maybe I'm crazy.  It's only been about ten days since I've started using this software, but really only four that I've been combing each folder trying to streamline stupid stuff like spelling mistakes, capitalization, punctuation and trying to synch things like Rollin' and Tumblin' vs Rolling and Tumbling etc.  It's so convenient to sort alphabetically in each folder and scan for mistakes and song titles that don't match.  Then I do each album's artwork, make two backup copies to external hard drives I keep plugged in and move on to the next folder.  It'll take me months to get through my collection, but this is an invaluable tool.  I love it.  Working backwards, I made it from Z to mid W in the last four days. I won't have this kind of time going forward unfortunately, but I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your day to address my issue.  I really appreciate it.  - John

frankz

No problem.

I replace my artwork all the time, and it always overwrites what's there as long as I'm using the same "Picture Type." 

It saves new album art as "Album Cover," so make sure your existing artwork is also tagged in that manner and it should replace rather than add.

redwing

Also use Artwork Manager under Tools menu. It will tell you the count and location of pictures for each album/track.

frankz

Yeah, what he said.  I always forget that's there.   :)  It's very useful.