Author Topic: Import custom tags to MusicBee from Excel  (Read 3254 times)

fuzes.marcell

Hey Guys,

I have a big Excel file where I have my custom tags as columns for my songs. I want to import these into Music Bee so I can sort and create playlists more conveniently.

I tried a few things. I created the custom tags in Music Bee and then exported as a Itunes xml file. This way I looked how Music Bee stores the custom tags which it created. As a test I created my own xml file where I added the same line as I saw it in the exported version and tried to import it. Unfortunately Music Bee did not recognize my Value in the custom tag.

Code
<key>Of Tanz</key><string>morgen</string>

This was the line I got from the export and added to my own test xml to see if Music Bee reads it in but it did not.

Now the excel is pretty huge so I will not be able to do this manually.

Is there a way to do this with Python ? Or even where Music Bee stores their custom tags in a text file so I could edit it with python, because I would need to read out the different values from the excel.

If you need more information I will happily provide more.

Cheers
MF

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think you could use the additional tagging and reporting tools plugin to do this.  I'm not an expert, but I believe you can import tags from a text file, which you could generate with excel.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
I think you could use the additional tagging and reporting tools plugin to do this.  I'm not an expert, but I believe you can import tags from a text file, which you could generate with excel.
I'm not so sure that plugin can import from a text file. (Actually I'm not sure that it can import from anything.) I use it a lot, but mostly for it's 'Advanced Search and Replace' feature. Just looking at it now, the closest thing I see would be for it to paste from the clipboard. Certainly not the way to go for the original request.

And since boroda74 has been absent from the forum for quite some time, there's no way to be certain unless someone steps forward stating that they've accomplished importing tags.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

FYI, this is (semi-) easily done in Mp3tag. 

Have your files in one directory (can be in sub-directories), and that directory open in Mp3tag sorted the way you want them (the way they are in the csv).

Convert->Text File-Tag

Select your csv from excel, set your tags

Preview to make absolutely, 100% sure that the tags are going to the right files in the right order.  Then preview again until you're 110% sure.  You can never preview too much.

Let 'er rip.

Rescan the files in MusicBee.

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

http://help.mp3tag.de/main_converter.html#tff

The catch would be it being custom tags, but you can set the tag name using % signs around whatever name you're using (I think).  You'd have to play with it and see.

fuzes.marcell

I'm not so sure that plugin can import from a text file. (Actually I'm not sure that it can import from anything.) I use it a lot, but mostly for it's 'Advanced Search and Replace' feature. Just looking at it now, the closest thing I see would be for it to paste from the clipboard. Certainly not the way to go for the original request.

I tried it out, and I could export with the "Backup tags for all tracks" and then edit the file, adding my own values to my custom tags.
After that I imported the tags with "Restore tags for selected tracks" and this worked.

I will have to look at Mp3tag hope that that might be easier, but I think the problem might be that I have my Custom Tags in Excel and already also have the values in them for each song and I'm not sure if that is possible.

redwing

You can import tag values either from text file or clipboard using Additional Tagging Tools plugin. The feature has been around more than 4 years, and these guides are available on the wiki as well:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9149.0

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9314.0