Author Topic: Inconsistencies over "selected file" when switching tabs  (Read 2630 times)

redwing

Open two tabs with a different file selected in each tab.
If you switch from one tab to the other tab, side panels (track info panel, lyrics panel, bio panel in "selected" mode) keep showing the selected file of the previous tab. But tag editor and all commands are working for the selected file in the current tab. This makes tagging work really confusing especially if you're frequently switching between tabs because selected file in track info panel mismatches with selected file in the main panel and tag editor. Also if you switch to another tab while editing tags in tag editor to check tag values of other files, you get confirmation dialog asking whether to save changes you made but you can't see the tag editor for the file.

Personally I think the selected file from the previous tab should remain just like side panels. And the selected file in the current tab should be lowlighted rather than highlighted until the user chooses to select a file in the current tab.
Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:53:11 AM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
For me the selected file for the side panels stays on the last explicitly clicked file as you observed when switching tabs.
But for the tag editor (floating or docked in the main panel), for me its the same ie. switching tabs doesnt change the file in the tag editor so not sure whats going on. Perhaps send me your settings file.
However i do see one bug in that when the tab is switched and you have already made modifications, then in the new tab you select another file, you dont get prompted to save the changes

redwing

I don't have access to my MB at the moment. I'd suggest two scenarios to test.

Open tag editor (docked) in both tabs and try switching tabs, then you will see it shows different files. Also try switching tabs in the middle of editting tags, but there are two different states - when the modified text got highlighted or not.

Also try the same with tag editor opened only in one tab. When selecting another file, you get prompted to save edits without being able to see the tag editor for the file in the previous tab in one of the two states.

Steven

• Administrator
Thanks for the suggestions. Trying with the tag editor docked in both tabs does switch to the selected track as you say so its not consistent when the tag editor is floating, and as you state the prompting is inconsistent as well.

redwing

Also check selected files for commands like volume analysis, format converter when switching tabs. They are not consistent with side panels.

Steven

• Administrator
Also check selected files for commands like volume analysis, format converter when switching tabs. They are not consistent with side panels.
it was never intended that those dialogs respond to changes in selected files and the only reason the dialogs are not modal is for technical reasons when the dialog minimises to the status bar when clicking the action button.

Thanks for the suggestions. Trying with the tag editor docked in both tabs does switch to the selected track as you say so its not consistent when the tag editor is floating, and as you state the prompting is inconsistent as well.
the only change i have made is to immediately prompt saving before a tab is switched which i think is the main issue you are raising.
The tag editor docked in the main panel is different because its maintained in each tab independently, where as there is only one floating editor.

redwing

it was never intended that those dialogs respond to changes in selected files and the only reason the dialogs are not modal is for technical reasons when the dialog minimises to the status bar when clicking the action button.

Not sure you got my point. From one tab, open volume analysis dialog and see what file is listed for the command. Close the dialog. Switch to another tab, open volume analysis dialog and you will see now different file (selected file in the main panel of the current tab) is listed for the command while side panels show the selected file of the previous tab as "selected file".

Steven

• Administrator
i understand now the point you are making.
The side panel reflects the last explicitly clicked track. When you switch tabs the active selected track can change eg. you previously had a file selected in that tab.
The one exception to that rule is the tag editor docked in the main panel, which will change to the current selected track.

Having said that i do see a bug where you click the current selected track in the new tab, and the sidebar panel doesnt update.

To make things more consistent i guess switching tabs should also change the active selected track in the right sidebar

redwing

The inconsistencies that I reported in the first post was addressed. But there's another one. This is not between different tabs but between different selected folders in computer node on the same tab.

- Select A folder in computer node, select all tracks in the main panel.
- Select B folder in computer node, select all tracks in the main panel.
- Now select A folder again. Then the main panel shows A folder tracks selected, but tag editor and track info panel shows B folder tracks as selected tracks. At this point, if you run a command like volume analysis, it's applied to A folder tracks.

I think tag editor and track info panel should get updated into the currently selected folder.