Author Topic: MusicBee Playback fails after a while, have to kill and reopen  (Read 2384 times)

Travistyse

No matter how I play the music (Player Open, Player minimized, AutoDJ on/off, Playlists, ect.) after a certain length of time playback will immediately stop and I'll be unable to play any songs until I kill the program in task manager and reopen it. The program otherwise works during this time and isn't "frozen" aside from not playing any songs. It'll show the name and information as if it's playing it but the timeline won't go past the starting point, as though it's still loading the song before it can play it or something.

If I just close MusicBee (X button or in the notifications area) I'm then unable to open it until I kill it.

I'll be checking my hardware later on as I'm working atm and HDD checks and memory diagnostics take forever. I'll try reinstalling and see if that helps. The only signs of this not being MusicBee's "fault" is that:

1. I keep getting a corrupt YouTube cookie every couple days that results in a 400 error until I clear my YouTube local data (Cache, Cookies, Local Storage).

2. I run in Powersaver mode because I have to limit thermals due to being upstairs in 80+ degree weather and MusicBee may just be getting the short end of the stick with Modo, Skype, and Chrome running at the same time? 12GB of Ram and 2 HDDs though.

3. I kinda freaked out about my computer's heat due to dust and needed to re-seat my computer's hardware, clean the fans out, ect. (I move my computer twice a month or so via a 2 hour drive) so.. being broke and having done it several times before (with many precautions each time) I vacuumed my computer. Won't do it again as I saw no improvements in thermals, GPU usage, or sound from fans.

4. My RAM isn't matching and initially refused to boot until I did something in my BIOS that I don't remember.

5. Windows Updates

6. I kinda dual-booted Windows 7 for a while and it probably altered a number of things that Windows 10 set up.

As you can tell, I'm not certain it's MusicBee's fault. But I couldn't find any information on my particular bug other than that it could be audio driver related. That could be possible. I recently started plugging a TV into my HDMI port at night to put myself to sleep with tutorials and GDC presentations. A few days later I stopped. A few days after that I started again but the TV wasn't being recognized as a sound in the playback devices. Tried a lot of things. Concluded that the HDMI going bad was probably the cause but didn't test because my "good" HDMI cord isn't long enough. Plugged in speakers and everything went fine.

Point is, I'm probably going to need to reinstall my audio drivers, refresh Windows, or replace some hardware component if the reinstallation doesn't resolve the issue; Thus, I'm making this post to ask if anyone else is encountering this because if I can avoid yet another day spent entirely on Windows and several days worth of reconfiguring everything that would be great.

redwing

There was a recent report that looks similar to yours: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11462.msg129829#msg129829

If you want to check if it's an MB related issue, try another music player for some time to see if it replicates the same issue.

Though you listed many hardware issues with your machine, my bet is that it is most likely Windows update related sound drivers issue.

Travistyse

There was a recent report that looks similar to yours: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11462.msg129829#msg129829

If you want to check if it's an MB related issue, try another music player for some time to see if it replicates the same issue.

Though you listed many hardware issues with your machine, my bet is that it is most likely Windows update related sound drivers issue.

Had a solid response. Hit "Go" instead of post. :( I HAVE THE RAM TO STORE TEXT FROM AN INPUT BOX! I HAVE THE PATIENCE TO CLICK AN "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DELETE THIS?" BOX BEFORE CONTINUING ;m; WHY IS THIS STILL A THING!

Anyway. Ran through everything and determined that the only possibilities were the Driver or MusicBee and am looking into the Driver now. Not hardware so not vacuum. No crashes so not Windows. YouTube was irrelevant as it's just 1 site. Not Windows 7 dualboot because that was 6 weeks ago (tl;dr Windows 7 not as great as I 'membered).

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I'm making this post to ask if anyone else is encountering this because if I can avoid yet another day spent entirely on Windows and several days worth of reconfiguring everything that would be great.

I had similar "music stops" when not exptecing it to stop incidents!
Was whilst playing 256k AAC VBR (m4a) files.
Found a fix on MB Forums about updating the m4a.dll to a more recent version, this fixed the problem...

Also, see here:-
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=22059.msg129559#msg129559

Hope this helps ;-)
Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:39:36 PM by DIVERSITY FM

Travistyse

I unfortunately found pretty much nothing for that dll (not even an existing one in my musicbee folder) but I did find this: https://getmusicbee.com/help/faq/ and I'm trying it atm. I have no idea if I should use 64 or 32 bit but seeing as Musicbee only comes in a single installer (32 bit judging by the 86x installation path) I'd guess I should use the 32 bit version.