Author Topic: Not having the volume analyse panel closing automatically after adjustments.  (Read 2800 times)

hiccup

When you have selected several albums to do volume analysis on, and you have checked to be alerted when clipping occurs, it can happen that more than one of those albums (or tracks) will need a level adjustment because of the possibility of clipping.

Suppose:
You try to analyse a batch of some 10 albums.
There is one album that needs an adjustment of -2dB, and another one that needs -4dB.
The analysis window will stay open after this clipping alert, and you can use the check-boxes to select all tracks from the '-2dB' album, adjust the level for it, and re-run analysis.

After that is done, you would next want to select the files from the '-4dB' album, and re-run it with an adjustment for that album.

But the problem is that MusicBee already closed the panel automatically after the -2dB' album has been adjusted, so you can't scroll to the next album (or tracks) that had a clipping alert anymore.

So you will need to remember (or write down), what other album(s) or tracks needed adjustment, and by how much.
That can be quite bothersome, especially with classical albums, and also because there is no 'album' column in the analysis panel to begin with.

So my wish is not have MusicBee closing the analysis panel automatically after there has been a clipping alert.
An 'apply adjustment' button that only applies, and doesn't close would be useful.

And on a linguistic side-note:
I've never been completely comfortable with the fact that 'analyse' doesn't actually only 'analyse', but it will also apply and write tags, and I have some doubts on the naming of the 'proceed' button.
It's not very specific on what it does.
Perhaps just naming it 'analyse' would be more appropriate?

hiccup

An addition to this wish:

Since 'album gain' is an important operator here, it would be useful and logical to also have the column 'album' displayed in the volume analysis panel.

frankz

+1

In addition, the impact of the entire issue could almost be eliminated with an "automatically prevent clipping" tick box, which would apply the gain setting just below the clipping level. 

I've never used a volume analysis tool that didn't have it before.

Steven

• Administrator
for v3.2 i am happy to make the following changes:
- display album in the dialog panel
- when clipping is detected, you will need to explicitly close the window

this is done now for the next v3.2 update
Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 07:53:20 PM by Steven

hiccup

for v3.2 i am happy to make the following changes:
- display album in the dialog panel
- when clipping is detected, you will need to explicitly close the window

this is done now for the next v3.2 update

Thanks, that's much appreciated.

hiccup

In addition, the impact of the entire issue could almost be eliminated with an "automatically prevent clipping" tick box, which would apply the gain setting just below the clipping level.  
I've never used a volume analysis tool that didn't have it before.

With this latest improvement, I think MusicBee's implementation is now quite good and convenient to use.
Out of curiosity, could you suggest some tools that you feel are more advanced or convenient?

frankz

As a complete solution, there is nothing that is more advanced or convenient.  That's why I use MusicBee as my main library manager and player LOL.

There are numerous individual tools that perform individual tasks in a more logical or more convenient way (or just in a way that I'm more accustomed to) than MusicBee performs those tasks.

Picard for auto-tagging (but not for artwork download - MusicBee does the best automatic album art download)
MP3Tag for bulk tag editing
Foobar2000 for volume analysis and format conversion, plus the sheer number of file analysis and repair tools available for specific instances.
Minilyrics for lyric download

I use a combination of the first three of these tools (plus SOX, FFMPEG and an old command line tool called metamp3) on my files before they get added to my MusicBee library and Minilyrics from within MusicBee.

drsanusi

wowow  thank you mr steven   
as powerful library manager and music player is perfect
but i wonder  about function was mentioned in wish list frequent times that may be 2+ or more to our beloved player
which is   volume normalizer  on the fly 
as we have multiple mp3 files was recorded by amateurs in different db levels so on fly normalizer will be more productive than analyzing all thousands of files
by reply gain volume analyzer  ? is it right?

any how    thank  u