Author Topic: MusicBee has finally come to Windows Store  (Read 15301 times)

richardofmusic

Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:05:47 PM by bleb

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, it's the official MB.

@Steven- maybe it's time to add to the website download page that MB is now available from the Windows Store and provide a direct link.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
I will do that the next time. I would need to do another release on the dashboard for it to be done

I have also sent out a tweet to confirm it is an official version
Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:03:51 PM by Steven

TeutonJon78

So, which is the official recommended way to install now?

If the UWP version just provided for covering the bases, or will that be the "method of choice"? Going forward?

Also, so settings transfer or get shared between the two versions?

stewlewis

Downloaded and rated, 5 stars of course.

Does the UWP differ functionally in any way?

I run from all my home PCs using a shortcut to a portable MB on my home server, in the same location as my music, is it worth it or possible to install the UWP version on the PCs accessing library on the server and sharing settings to keep all installations consistent?

Steven

• Administrator
The store version is more or less the same as the desktop version - i did need to make a few tweaks because it requires a newer .NET version and infact there is a minor GUI bug on the store version for some dialog windows for some skins.
There are reasons people may want to use the store version - clean install/ uninstall, auto-update, trusted environment etc.
If you prefer using the beta version and more recent patch versions then you should continue to use the version from the musicbee website.

AvikB

@steven file association does not work with musicbee store version.

Steven

• Administrator
with the windows store version MusicBee is locked out of updating the windows registry, so you would need to make the association via the windows control panel

AvikB

with the windows store version MusicBee is locked out of updating the windows registry, so you would need to make the association via the windows control panel
Hmmm.... did some test. It seems musicbee can create registry keys with admin access. But since it uses absolute path to the exe for the association, it does not work. Windows store apps cant use absolute path to it's exe.

also musicbee does not appear in the default app chooser in the setting panel.

I have tested with other windows store desktop apps, they appear in the list.
Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:30:54 PM by AvikB

AvikB

Yes, it's the official MB. @Steven- maybe it's time to add to the website download page that MB is now available from the Windows Store and provide a direct link.
It is done btw.

Steven

• Administrator
Hmmm.... did some test. It seems musicbee can create registry keys with admin access. But since it uses absolute path to the exe for the association, it does not work. Windows store apps cant use absolute path to it's exe.

also musicbee does not appear in the default app chooser in the setting panel.
ok, i will check it out over the next week

Steven

• Administrator
it looks like the file associations need to included in the package manifest.
I will wait a week or two in case other issues are reported and then do another store release

AvikB

it looks like the file associations need to included in the package manifest. I will wait a week or two in case other issues are reported and then do another store release
👍

ChristopherE

I tried the store version but found that I could not get any of the plugins to work. Would be interesting to know if they do and if so how to get them working.

Steven

• Administrator
can you explain some more what you mean by you cant get them to work?
In the plugins preferences tab, there is an "Add Plugin" button where you can select a .zip or .dll which MB will install