Author Topic: Add "Work" and Possibly Other Fields to the Auto-DJ Random Sort Capability  (Read 10129 times)

Steven

• Administrator
It should be fixed now but i dont have time to test it to confirm.
Also i just realised the auto-playlist will not filter out null values like the auto-dj when shuffle grouping is enabled so i will change that for the next update

redwing

Thanks! That stopped the error.
For the null-value files, it doesn't seem to work properly for Auto-DJ as well. I will report about it later after more tests.

ArthurDaniels

work is now included in the shuffle select by

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoyqusdsqprxg1h/MusicBeeTestCustomImage.zip?dl=1

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the update.  I have extracted the updated executable and over-written the existing file in my Program 86 program location.  I see all the additional sort options, including Work.  Very nice.

I have already tested it by creating a Classical Playlist sorted by Work.  "Works" for me.

Thanks again,

Art

Steven

• Administrator
It's still including null value files to the Auto-DJ source.
it should work for album, grouping and work but i can see why its not working for virtual tags so will fix that.

edit:
its corrected now
Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:38:15 PM by Steven

ArthurDaniels

Hi Steven,

The Playlist creation with Work  and Random options chosen appears to capture all tracks of selected works when the "Album" option is chosen under the "Limit to" option.

However, works are sometimes truncated if the "Items" option is chosen in the "Limit to" section.  The program does not add the missing tracks if previously-played tracks are removed.  Instead, new works are chosen.

Best,

Art

ArthurDaniels

Hi Steven,

When a Playlist is created using the Work option and the Album option, the works chosen are complete, but are listed in reverse track order.  I have checked this issue to be sure of my findings - works are always listed in reverse track order.  I can correct the problem by re-sorting the Work column before I move the tracks to the Play window.

For classical music, this reverse track order is a problem because movements of a composition will be played in reverse order, unless they are re-sorted prior to play.

UPDATE:  I changed the sort order for Work and I believe the sort problem is resolved.

Best,

Art
Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:43:05 AM by ArthurDaniels

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Finally testing this out.  I'm super excited about it!  It still doesn't quite seem to be working, though, at least with playlists.

This is the main playlist I sync to my phone:

When I set it to select by work, this is a sample of what I get:

First, you can't see it in the screenshot, but it only selected 405 tracks instead of 1000. Second, it only selects tracks that have a value in the work field (I think tracks with no set work should treat the title as the work value for this purpose). Third, it's not selecting complete works, or even all parts of a work with the same play count. For instance, if I middle click on "Preludes, op. 28", I get 24 tracks (all the same album/artist), 17 of which have a play count of 1 and 7 of which have a play count of 2.  This happens even if I have "keep tracks in sequence when shuffling" set.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
First, you can't see it in the screenshot, but it only selected 405 tracks instead of 1000. Second, it only selects tracks that have a value in the work field (I think tracks with no set work should treat the title as the work value for this purpose).
i think these 2 points are related. The current behavior is to exclude tracks that have no value in the work field when shuffling by work.
I did that on redwing's suggestion but i am not fully on board with that eg. the user could filter out blank values themselves if they wanted.
I think the issue with the initial implementation was it treated all the files with no value as a single grouping so i can fix that.

redwing

The current behavior is to exclude tracks that have no value in the work field when shuffling by work.
I did that on redwing's suggestion but i am not fully on board with that eg. the user could filter out blank values themselves if they wanted.
I think the issue with the initial implementation was it treated all the files with no value as a single grouping so i can fix that.

Sounds like you still don't get why I requested such a feature.
First of all, I never request that applied to when grouped by regular tags, but only when grouped by virtual tags. So I didn't expect you would do that for "shuffle by work" setting as well but somehow you did it. I don't mind if it would default to title or whatever field when the work field is null.

But for virtual fields, it's a different story.
By removing completely null value files for virtual tags, you can easily manipulate source files without using folders and filters/auto-playlists option. Very convenient to listen to some specific artists / composers / genres.
Also if you want, you can easily ensure that all files get included to your source, using something like "<Work>-<Filename>" instead of just "<Work>".
If it doesn't remove null-value files from the source for virtual tags, it would add null-value files occasionally as a random single track between each work, which makes no sense at all.

So I hope you wouldn't remove the functionality from "shuffled by virtual tags" setting.

Steven

• Administrator
Third, it's not selecting complete works, or even all parts of a work with the same play count. For instance, if I middle click on "Preludes, op. 28", I get 24 tracks (all the same album/artist), 17 of which have a play count of 1 and 7 of which have a play count of 2.  This happens even if I have "keep tracks in sequence when shuffling" set.
I am not sure i am understanding the point you were making here so if the following doesnt sound like what you were getting at then let me know.
You have a limit of 1000 least played. I expect some of the tracks from the work didnt get included. I guess i can look at ensuring the complete work is included if any one of the tracks are included.

Keep tracks in sequence only applies when shuffling by track
Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:36:04 PM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I am not sure i am understanding the point you were making here so if the following doesnt sound like what you were getting at then let me know.
You have a limit of 1000 least played. I expect some of the tracks from the work didnt get included. I guess i can look at ensuring the complete work is included if any one of the tracks are included.

I am OK with some tracks not being included if they have a higher play count that others, so that they "catch up" with the rest of the work.  Some folks might have a different preference; I can live with it either way.

However, the issue here was that there were 17 tracks from the same work/album/artist that had the same play count, and only 6 were included in the playlist.  (Come to think of it, you'll probably have to put in some handling for what to do if a work is selected and it has more tracks than the playlist limit. Probably skip it and go on to something that will fit.)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
for the next update the following changes have been made
- when "Shuffle By" is enabled no longer filters null values for the shuffle by criteria, except for when shuffling by virtual tag
- when "limit to" is enabled, MB ensures the full set of tracks for a "shuffle by" grouping that meet the playlist filter criteria are included. This does mean that the "limit to" can be exceeded because the last "shuffle by" set of tracks could overrun the limit.