Author Topic: Random Shuffle Not So Random  (Read 1480 times)

Chicken Spanker

I have a library of about 12,000 tracks. I play it most days while I am working. I like to use the random select button so I don't know what track is playing next. Whenever (frequently) I add new tracks to the library I select the option Shuffle List again (sometimes 2-3 times a week).

The question I have is why are recently played tracks (ones that have been played within the 1-2 months or so) come up more often than ones that have not been played in a longer time than that? I play maybe 50-70 songs in a work session. Out of those, I would estimate that some 30% of those are ones that have been recently played within the last 1-2 months.

My brain hasn't had enough coffee to work out a distribution curve for how often out of 50 or so songs a day, a track that had been recently played should keep coming up. The other I would have question is - if MusicBee can come up with a nifty calculator than tell how many times a track has been played and when it was last played, is it not possible to add some function that can allow you to skip tracks that have been played within a recent specified timeframe? I mean I like the tracks I hear but it'd be nice if I could get to hear some more of other tracks that it is telling me I haven't played for more than a couple of years.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
if MusicBee can come up with a nifty calculator than tell how many times a track has been played and when it was last played, is it not possible to add some function that can allow you to skip tracks that have been played within a recent specified timeframe? I mean I like the tracks I hear but it'd be nice if I could get to hear some more of other tracks that it is telling me I haven't played for more than a couple of years.

Yes, this is possible.  You can make an auto-playlist, or set an auto dj filter if you're using auto dj, that says "not played in the last..." and choose a time frame
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)