Author Topic: Very confused... Songs won't play the full length?  (Read 2643 times)

skylin4

In an attempt to stay as concise as I can ill just get right to it... MusicBee will not play the correct length for some songs. Some songs are getting cut off early and some are getting dead space added to the end of them. I tried rescanning files, sifting through the settings, etc. I downloaded Lame.exe, Nero, and the AAC encoder/converter (too lazy to check the file name...) from the Wiki FAQ page. I restarted MB and reset the computer. Upon investigation I have since found out:

-it is only .asx and .mp3 file extensions
-it only affects songs that I got from a non-uniform source. Anything ripped from a CD or from ITunes/Amazon is fine. Random music from other people and random downloads on the internet are sometimes fine, sometimes not.
-windows explorer displays the correct runtime as does the library tab in MB, but when the song is selected the player does not use the correct duration.
-Lastly, entering the 'edit tag' screen will fix the issue upon exit, even if the file is already in playback by the player. I don't have to change any tags, and the properties tab already displays the correct duration. It's like the player needs me to open the tag specifically for it to get the memo.

It is extremely similar to this issue: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=6601.0
Difference is I do not and have never used ITunes and any music I have from ITunes was from friends and family. This is also a 5 year old problem and the option he selected for his "fix" doesn't exist anymore. Plus MB organizing the files for me is part of the reason why I'm using it...

When I was looking into this I found a theory that said the program thought the file was a constant bitrate but when you checked the tag it would realize that it was variable and would correct for it. I wish I had the source but that was 50-100 webpages ago on some random forum...

My personal theory is that the Auto-tag feature did this somehow, since none of the files with proper tags before-import are having this issue. It's only files that are missing a lot of tags that I would've sent through the Auto-Tag feature.

So... How do I fix this? I don't get a ton of garbage files anymore since I care a lot more about sound quality now than I did in high school, so I'm not terribly worried about preventing new files from this, but I do have dozens if not hundreds of files that need to be fixed. Is there a different feature that would force MB to open tags for all the files and ergo correct the durations for all of them? I'll keep experimenting in the meantime...

Oh, and I'm on a HP laptop that started on Windows 8.1 and got updated to Windows 10. The MB version is 3.0.5995. I can upload screenshots or settings files if needed, but I feel like its almost fixable already so those might not be needed right now...

Thank you!

Quick Edit: Okay, I found a .m4a that is also wrong. Its also a random internet download from a long time ago that is missing tags... I was thinking about converting everything to m4a but it looks like the file type is not causation. just slight correlation...

2nd Edit: Looks like my attempted fix was not permenant. When the song ends or I switch songs and go back the duration is wrong. Unsurprisingly any song having this issue is failing to be identified by the Auto-Tag in any form. So i'm going to guess its just a tagging error... Some of these files I've had for 5-10 years though and they've never had a problem before. Not sure why all the sudden MB is perplexed by them.
Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:06:00 AM by skylin4

redwing

Most likely the file header of those file are corrupted for some reason. You might want to try mp3 repair apps like mp3diags or mp3val.

skylin4

Thats what I'm thinking too.. Which considering how little I know about music file structure isnt saying much, but still...

Trouble is, I cant find a program that will fix AAC files. Lots and lots of editors, but nothing that will fix corrupt data. MP3val and MP3Diags are both exclusive to that filetype. Any idea where I can find one that will id issues like the MP3 ones?

redwing

If audio stream is fine, then you could try remuxing it using ffmpeg.

Code
ffmpeg.exe -i original.m4a -c copy new.m4a
It won't degrade audio quality as it simply copies the audio stream.