Author Topic: Roon's community  (Read 2854 times)

ThY

Hello.
I tried Roon for 2 days and posted my feedback on their forum.
My post lasted 2 hours lol

Are there Roon users here ?
I spent times to give feedbacks for a product i won't use, for them to possibly improve it, and this is the result.

Nice experience.

hiccup

Haha, a good read.

But let's be fair:
If a Roon/foobar2000/MediaMonkey/Winamp user would create a topic on our forum, beginning with a list of all the things that (he considers) is lacking from MusicBee, the reception might also not be too friendly.

But the Roon moderator's actions of hiding so-called 'reported' posts, and locking the thread is a very weak move.
(perhaps it's the same moderator that moderates the MusicBrainz forum: hiding posts is his favourite waste of time too)
The least they could have done was to respond to some of your valid suggestions, or refer you to a forum board where you can post requests for improvements and features.

I guess here at the MusicBee forum we are blessed with lenient users and moderators who can take a punch.

ThY

Yes i know it was a lot of negative feedback.
But i hoped that my point of view was understood as a feedback and not as a "Roon bad music manager", "Musicbee better".

I tried to be clear on that a multiple times, stating that i was satisfied with the music playing / broadcasting system, which is the main purpose of Roon, and so why i investigated mainly on the other main aspect of the product: which is the library.

And for that, too bad but i had a comparison point, and it was Musicbee.

How do they think a product improve if it's not with feedbacks ?
I never encountered that in here.
Here we take critisism, advices and feedbacks, you improve things or you don't, and you go ahead.

All i was waiting, like you said, was things like:
- "Yeah we're working on this and that."
- "No this is not on our roadmap, Roon is not intended for that."
- "Well you can already achieve that, by doing this or that."
- "I have not the same feelings about this feature you talked about."
- "I have different needs than you, but maybe this suggestion you made could be a nice improvement"

Well... someone warned me real soon in the first posts: "Not sure you will get much sympathy here".
I know it's Internet, but that was fast ^^

hiccup

How do they think a product improve if it's not with feedbacks ?
I never encountered that in here.
Here we take critisism, advices and feedbacks, you improve things or you don't, and you go ahead.

I know several of such fora/communities that have this fanboy-like attitude.
One thing they often seem to have in common is that the users have paid money to use their product or service.
And they probably don't like to be confronted about things that may not be so great.
(try posting on an Apple forum that Windows is far superior, haha)

Anyway, back to what you asked in your start-post:

Any other Roon users here?
(discussing Roon here won't get you banned, nor will your posts get hidden from others to see ;-)

BoraBora

I used Foobar for 10 years but tested or retested lots of other players in the meantime (including commercial ones like JRiver Mediacenter) because I wished for a slicker UI without losing all the features I loved. But I always returned to Foobar after a day or two (sometimes an hour).

Roon has indeed tempted me with its very, very nice UI screenshots but I was pretty sure i'd find it mostly gloss without filling my needs. The high price was a bad point, too, considering I don't need multi-room features, and I loathe the subscription business model for local software. So... I never got to test it.

Anyway, I eventually tested MB some years ago and I've been happy as I can be ever since. ;) I'm still open to new experiences, though, but in this new era of streaming music and platforms proprietary players, I doubt I'll see something better suited to my needs than MB. Beautiful UI, a lot of customization possibilities, perfect to manage a huge local library: my search is pretty much over.

ThY

I'm almost in the same boat as you @BoraBora
The only thing i'd love upon Musicbee would be some AI driven technology which scan music files to create smooth playlists and smooth transitions between tracks, like the Supersonic feature in PlexAmp.

But PlexAmp, beside that, is a poor mobile player, with no functionnalities beside that.
I tried it some days before Roon.

Actually i've been looking at those players which use this kind of AI technology, this is why i took a look at Roon.
I spent more time on Roon than on Plex which is, in my opinion, an even worst manager.

Roon is really not that bad, but like you, it doesn't suit my needs, especially when it's not free.
But i'd be interested to hear some Roon users' opinions here if they exist, and their comparison with Musicbee.

The Incredible Boom Boom

'Did you happen to listen to music during those two days?'

Not sure about the lethality of such responses.
After all, a CD player can still play music too.

ThY

'Did you happen to listen to music during those two days?'

Not sure about the lethality of such responses.
After all, a CD player can still play music too.

I didn't know what was the point of this response, my feedback was about testing a music manager.
Why should i need to listen to music during 2 days to rate the managing functionnalities ?

The music casting/listening part was good, i can figure that out in 30 minutes.

AMoonRabbit

I read through the posts, and then checked the website

>The audiophile player for music fanatics

Got a laugh out of me

And of course they're paying to use it, so of course it's going to be the audiophile tool (when actually it appears to be lacking)