Hiya. Long-time MB fan here. I just got a laptop, and want to replicate my files and playlists in the laptop so that I can rate songs and such and have those changes appear in the PC collection too. The size of my collection far exceeds the space in the laptop, so I just want to access it in the PC.
I’ve made some progress, but I'm stumped. I found a few similar requests in the forum that went unanswered, so I’m hoping a fresh request will get a response. (I also think it would super fantastic if this solution can be posted in the Tips & Tricks section. If some hero helps me solve this, I'll add the complete how-to there. I can also do the same for the success I had with remote listening via my Android using MusicBee Remote and SoundWire.) But for now ... my deal:
* I'm not a complete tech dummy, but I'm definitely a tech toddler at most.
* I've got a large collection of FLACs (230 GB) in my (Win 8.1) PC. (I have everything backed up on an external drive, but I play the songs in the PC.) I just upgraded to the most recent version of MB.
* I just got a (Win 10) laptop. I've downloaded the latest MB to the laptop.
* I've set up a home group linking the two computers.
* I've played with the laptop's navigation and device settings and the like. I have managed two partial successes.
Success #1: I can access my PC collection in the laptop via the DEVICES portion of the left sidebar. I can play the songs, but to select them I have to find an album's particular folder via the DEVICES route. All the collections' album folders are shown in the left sidebar as now being in a folder called STORAGE that I didn't create.
REQUEST#1: HOW DO I GET MY ENTIRE COLLECTION TO SHOW UP IN THE MAIN PANEL? (Lower down I share the preferences I'm currently working with.)
Success #2: I've managed to be able to see my PC's playlists in the left sidebar, but the paths all lead to the PC collection.
REQUEST #2: HOW DO I GET THE PLAYLISTS INCLUDED IN THE LEFT SIDEBAR TO FUNCTION PROPERLY? (Below I relate what efforts I've made, including remapping playlist paths.)
(* More on what happens with my left sidebar playlists: If I right-click on a playlist and select "play shuffled," nothing happens. If I right-click and select "open in new tab," the tab shows up but the panel is still empty. If I double-click the playlist's tracks show in the main panel with warning icons noting the path is funky: "The source file for track X could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" Of course, that's not the most efficient approach. )
MY PREFERENCES SETTINGS
DEVICES: I've configured my PC collection as a virtual device. In those settings I've got:
* checked: synchronise music: all music
* checked: synchronise playlists: all playlists
* checked: folders
In the FOLDERS settings, under CHOOSE FOLDERS I've added a network share to the PC collection, but when I exit out of that back to the DEVICES Music settings the path that shows up next to the checked "folders" is not the path to the PC.
* checked: automatically synchronise when the device is connected.
* media storage\storage path: [myPC]\Users\kjn\Music\[my PC folder holding my collection in folders by album]\
* checked: Organise Library files
* move: music on drive: [myPC]\Users\kjn\Music\[my PC folder holding my collection in folders by album]\[one album of music to test] to folder: C:\Users\KJN\Music\MusicBee
I've also tried remapping the playlists paths. Nothing happens.
ERROR MESSAGES I'VE RECEIVED from various efforts
1. the storage folder
[myPC]\Users\kjn\Music\[my PC folder holding my collection in folders by album]\
no longer exists and may need to be changed in the device synch preferences
I got this message while working in what appears to be the VIRTUAL DEVICE Preferences settings. Except, (a) I'm not able to rename the "storage" folder that got created so it matches that path, and (b) I’m not able to change the path in the checked FOLDERS item. (I've tried this with that FOLDERS item both checked and unchecked; nothing happens.)
2. I've also gotten this message (but I can't remember which attempt produced it):
MusicBee v3.1.6466.36486 (WinlO.O), 14 Oct
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot
Parameter name: key
2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
4 = qXe 10HU
= (String #= qQvIOiKPFX8V5wpIUzhDGkQ= =)
$VKBOg = = (# =qWoQWRZNgnM2ktgs7Wpozro
# =q 1 H7AIjIo6g mHO7l V2eXTq7CZMx_OAXF6s0
ye6Pq2_DY=, Boolean #=q4f
78=, #=qoBhjsWBkbHkoRU R9ios_$g = =
#=q_gAUeDk44XKgfALHrCvqOXTg KVT3c8I D81f
U El Ro =,
= qnAIQDrwbUSGB4YKXzJT_vj.ZXJ Ki
3. I got this message: COPY FAILED: ACCESS DENIED from trying to send a PC track to the laptop's MUSIC folder.
I know there's a "Sharing a Library over LAN" posting in Tips & Tricks, but that concerns having the collection in Dropbox. My FLAC collection is 230 GB and I don't want to pay for cloud storage. I realize I might be able to just use one of my external hard drives and have both computers access the music from the same drive, but is that my only option? Because I'd really like to just access the PC collection via my laptop.
Thanks so much (in advance) to the hero(es) who help me solve this. Again, once all is up and running, I'll create a Tips & Tricks post to help others seeking the same solution.