Author Topic: Overlay all panels on a bitmap background  (Read 33364 times)

Steven

• Administrator
The ability for MB to show all panels on a bitmap image has been requested a few times and also in the 3.2 topic.
I have already started this and wanted to mention a couple of things in case anyone wants to comment.
The plan at the moment is it will be implemented in a skin rather than as something where a user can select there own background image.
However I might change my mind and also provide support for that.
The reason for preferring to implement as a skin is i think headers, borders and perhaps some panels will best be displayed with some colouring and transparency which is best decided by a skin implementer. Because the panel layout is flexible you cant assume a particular panel is over any particular area of the bitmap image so colouring and transparency can help to make the experience for the user better.
It would be good if i could get an indication of interest from skin developers and whether you agree. This will determine how much effort i put into this.

hiccup

Maybe I would try it out for the fun of it, but I think I would only end up using it in an actual skin if I thought it would be useful to improve on functionality.
At this moment I can't imagine that it would do that.

Steven

• Administrator
I think it can be made to look very good eg. a zune like background such as this
https://wave-of-a-single-kid.deviantart.com/art/Zune-Phyta-Logon-Screen-164207033

it might also make sense to either have a skin setting or a user config setting that decreases the information density ie. increases the padding on rows in a grid and the spacing between panels
Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:25:28 PM by Steven

hiccup

I am sure it can be made aesthetically very nice.
It's just my personal preference to do skin designs that have as less possible distractions, and a good functionality in the first place.
(o.k., I went a bit overboard with "The Blue Bee and the Sea")

What I can imagine what could be very popular, is if users could add their own backgrounds to existing bitmapped skins.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
What I can imagine what could be very popular, is if users could add their own backgrounds to existing bitmapped skins.

Oooh! that's a most splendid idea  ;D
How about a slideshow of jpegs from a folder called SLIDES?
Regards...

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
My personal preference would be for user selectable.
As a skin developer I would certainly create a backdrop to go with a skin, but by allowing a user to change that, or add a background to an existing skin, would enable a user to customise a favourite skin and really make it their own.

Also, with the 3.2 ability to export personal view settings, users would be able to share their achieved look with the community.
Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:07:27 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

I agree with Bee-liever.
But if you think it would be better to implement some settings for skinners, then go ahead. Just let users have an ability to override it, depending on the background image they want to use.

it might also make sense to either have a skin setting or a user config setting that decreases the information density ie. increases the padding on rows in a grid and the spacing between panels

This too should be a user setting as I don't think it would depend on a skin. I've seen several requests that would allow to increase row height without enlarging font size.

Iasc

My personal preference would be for user selectable.
As a skin developer I would certainly create a backdrop to go with a skin, but by allowing a user to change that, or add a background to an existing skin, would enable a user to customise a favourite skin and really make it their own.

Also, with the 3.2 ability to export personal view settings, users would be able to share their achieved look with the community.

+1

KangNi

Steven

• Administrator
i have a first cut of this that i want to make available to get some feedback.
As its implemented for now, you select a background image that is applied across the entire main panels, but not the top/bottom panels.
The background is selected in the Layout(1) preferences

keep a copy of your existing musicbee.exe as i am still not officially starting v3.2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoyqusdsqprxg1h/MusicBeeTestCustomImage.zip?dl=1

The sort of thing i have in mind might using a zune like image with the musicbee default skin
http://getmusicbee.com/images/forum/zune.jpg
Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:29:04 AM by Steven

redwing

Thanks! Looking good!

I noticed when a background image is loaded crop to a circle setting for artists doesn't work.

Steven

• Administrator
Thanks! Looking good!

I noticed when a background is loaded crop to a circle setting for artists doesn't work.
yes thats right. I dont think i will have a solution for that

redwing

Then, disable the setting when background image is used. Currently it's still turned on.

redwing

OK. No rush.

BTW here's how it looks with Dark Fine Tuned skin and the zune background with inverted colors:

Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:50:58 AM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator