Author Topic: Writing a plugin in Go  (Read 4505 times)

quick_wango

• Software Engineer
As I have rewritten my LyricsReloaded plugin into a Go commandline application, I'm thinking about wrapping that into a MusicBee plugin.

I see 2 paths for this:
1. Writing a C# plugin that invokes the lyrics2go.exe passing on the arguments from MusicBee
2. Writing the plugin in Go and directly calling into Lyrics2Go's functions

The latter seems more appealing, but I'm not entirely sure how to implement this.
My best bet is currently using the C++ plugin interface and implementing it with Go.

Has anyone tried this?

Steven

• Administrator
I stopped development of the C++ interface at quite an early stage due to lack of interest, so its quite possible API functions you need dont exist.
Unless Go had some sort of .NET bridge option 1 might be the only way.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What language is the current interface? I'm learning C++ at the moment, and hoping to start working on plugins eventually
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
C# - once you know C++ you should find C# easy to pick up and nice to use

quick_wango

• Software Engineer
I'm thinking about building a small IPC layer get language independent plugin support. Do you think that makes sense? How much interest is there in support for different language support in plugins?

Steven

• Administrator

quick_wango

• Software Engineer
Well it seems like this is more like a "Send commands from some program to MusicBee" kind of thing and not bidirectional as I would need it.
And it also seems like MusicBee is losing more plugin devs to Linux :D .

If I'll really implement something for MusicBee, I'd probably do some kind of rudimentary RPC protocol over WebSockets, but not sure if and when I have the time for that.

quick_wango

• Software Engineer
Btw I think it would help MusicBee's plugin eco system if it's plugin interface would be language independent, as a lot more people know JavaScript or Python compared to C#/VB, especially those that are not professional software developers (I guess that's true for most of the users).

Given I get to implement this interface, would there be any chance to get it integrated into MusicBee?