Author Topic: MusicBee 3.2 - General Direction  (Read 21100 times)

Ansem

Maybe is too late, but I would like MB to support library on a NAS. I don't really care about cloud, but managing the library on a NAS i a lot more usefull for me.
The most important thing is that MB need to scan the library looking for new or updated tracks, without adding them to the inbox as duplicates

cheesbee

Hi Steven,

As mentioned in my earlier posts, i'm using MusicBee on my Samsung Netbook NC10, which has limited screen resolution 1024x600.
My Library contains 950.000 titles on three 4TB USB-drives.

I'm still very happy with your program, but please consider this:

1. In version 3.2 you have increased the line-spacing in the main panel. This has a very negative effect on number of lines displayed on small screens (i.e. 10 instead of 13 lines in lower section; a big difference).
Please restore old spacing or make it optional.

2. As you indicate yourself, the Preferences window can use some improvements. Please make these windows scrollable or resizeable.
The window size is fixed at 600 pixels (screen height), but the contents overflow this window at the bottom, and I simply cannot reach the lower tickboxes in some subsections, such as General, Player, Now Playing and Library section, even when hiding the Windows Taskbar.
(Lucky for me the Save and Close button can still be reached . . . ;-)
Strangely enough, the Layout (1) , File Converters and Plugin sections have scrollbars but are still overflowing at the bottom...

3. The same goes for Layout(1) - Main Panel - Customize Layout window (Views Configuration). Here overflow too, the Configure Fields, Apply, Save and Close buttons at the bottom unreachable at 1024x600 resolution.

Surely you can remedy this  ;) .

Greetings and Happy New Year from The Netherlands,
Cyril Heesbeen.

Steven

• Administrator
1. In version 3.2 you have increased the line-spacing in the main panel. This has a very negative effect on number of lines displayed on small screens (i.e. 10 instead of 13 lines in lower section; a big difference).
it can be configured in the layout preferences

cheesbee

it can be configured in the layout preferences

Ahhh, I see it now, you call it 'row padding':
Layout(1) - General - row padding - compressed

Lucky for me, i can actually change this (considering my other remarks on window size and scrolling)  ;)
Thanks!

ma_t14

- Setting Simplification (still!). Although i agree with the general point that there are a lot of settings, i feel any major rework will be a no win situation. But i do acknowledge iterative improvements can be made

One thing that I think would go a long way in helping people dealing with the tremendous amount of options MusicBee offers is having a dedicated settings search function. Something similar in nature to what browsers have nowdays.

e.g. settings searching in Firefox:

I assume this may or may not require some fundamental changes in the background but in my opinion it will be worth it. With the amount of options MusicBee offers this would be a really nice feature to have in a future release.
Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:18:37 AM by ma_t14

wealstarr

There's an application I use where, apart from custom layouts (similar to MusicBee's "arrange panels" feature) you can change the colors for the different panels, fonts, Icons. Also has the ability to use the different images for different panels as the background with further customizable options like stretch, fit, zoom, transparency level etc. Refer to the images below-

All the different customization options (layout/Fonts/Color themes/Icons etc etc) can be saved into a theme file. Users just share this single file and all the different elements of theme are compressed into it.

If we can have similar functionality, everyone can create themes and we'll have an abundance of different styles consisting of different layouts/Fonts/Icons etc because then users who don't take much interest in digging the xml's will also get their hands dirty.

And in my opinion if we can have some animations like slide effects when shifting from one tab to another or/and a nice slide/roll down of the tracklist expanded panel, that'll make GUI looks pretty amazing and MusicBee very professional (not implying that it already isn't)

I understand this animation is quite far fetched idea but surely the thing of the future but then again doesn't MusicBee always lead the way ?

gaiastar

hi
1)
tag directly files without moving in the windows temp folder or at least add in the option the possibility to add/select a temp folder ,I really love musicbee under w7 i have no problem but with w10 even i have disabled every option of the antivirus when i play music with musicbee i got sometime the nasty windows message even when i try to rate a song

2)
a sound volume level analysis and boost the volume at the max ,something like aimp ,and it could be really very helpful & enjoyable playing old records like led zeppelin & an recent record , replaygain let sound weak

thanks

MusicBee is the best audio player ever made, Love it ♫♫

tangotonyb

On the subject of multiple database support, you could contemplate something like Calibre offers, with virtual libraries.

What this is in effect is a means of setting a filter in one place, that allows all of the other operations to then act ON TOP of this filter.

So with the example above - if your Christmas tracks are tagged with Genre of Christmas, you just set a filter of "Genre NOT Christmas" and then work with the library as though the Christmas tracks were not in it.

phred

• Global Moderator
So with the example above - if your Christmas tracks are tagged with Genre of Christmas, you just set a filter of "Genre NOT Christmas" and then work with the library as though the Christmas tracks were not in it.
This is doable now with library filters (and has been for a while.)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

tangotonyb

I don't believe we are talking about the same thing.

If I apply a Library Filter, it doesn't change the playlists when I view them.

Nor are the Search Results affected.

phred

• Global Moderator
If I apply a Library Filter, it doesn't change the playlists when I view them.
You can create playlists and auto-playlists based on library filters. Still might not be exactly what you want, but perhaps you could experiment with that to see how well it fits.
Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:17:48 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

doodlepapers

One thing I would like is an improved search function. When you press ctrl +f, that a search window pops up on the screen. Autocomplete would be nice, kind of similar to google, when you type "ade", there's a list with the most used words starting with ade, with Adele on the very top. Song names too. Also if you click on an artist or song name in autocomplete, you'll be immediately directed to the song, album, or artist.

The search function is all the way at the very top right corner and I personally don't find it that efficient. But it does work, so I can't complain.

tangotonyb

"You can create playlists and auto-playlists based on library filters. Still might not be exactly what you want, but perhaps you could experiment with that to see how well it fits."

I use these already but it's a very different Use Case.

An example of where a Virtual Collection "filter" would be useful.

Say, I'm working through my music trying to sort a playlist out for an event and I know that anything older than 3 years is out of the question....but then I want to scan through my collection using my existing playlists (which categorise the music), sorting by BPM so that I can ensure I take the bulk of my selections from a specific BPM range.

Anyway - it wasn't a request for me per se. I'd put it in the wishlist. It's a nice to have for me, but I can certainly live without it. It was a response to an earlier poster who wanted to exclude Christmas songs.

theta_wave

I wonder if adding additional custom tags to the 16 already there is possible, or has that ship sailed?

badwhip

I would like to see a little hr icon next to the music that is at least 24bit 32hz encoded and also a sorting options for all hi res music files. Also support for dsd files and converting from dsd to flac and other high res codecs.
It also be nice to add more function to the lyrics utility to make it easier to embed them in a large library.

Plex integration and support.