Author Topic: Mass file metadata/tag compare (id3, vorbis) for files on 2 partitions/HDDs ?  (Read 3313 times)

alec.tron

Heya,
as I have a few programs that alter metadata, but some of them do have a history of not cleanly editing existing ones (especially multi value metadata, which I use heavily, is hit and miss... which is why I want to make sure data I care about is not overwritten when sync-ing after one of thesew unreliable programs (Traktor & Serato that is...) screwed up...)...

So - can anyone recommend a program that allows to scan & compare metadata from files on 2 separate HDDs/partitions reliably (& conveniently ideally) (i.e. same file exists under same name & location on both HDDs... but metadata might differ on some fields) ?
And maybe even offers to merge metadata if differences are found... ?

I've found BeyondCompare... but it only does support ID3 from the looks (flac suppoirt is planned, but not there atm), so there's no point in even testing that as I'd need it for 100s if not 1000s of mp3/id3 & flac/vorbis on a regular basis, plus some outliers (aiff, aac, etc)...
MusicBee does have a metadata compare functionality via an add-on too, but it's only really usable if done on a per-file/one-by-one basis. The other option would have been the Advanced Tag Tools' tag export - but that exports binary into an xml from from the looks, and only for the complete library, not for selection/playlist/files-outside-the-library.
And foobar does not seem to have any add on to deal with metadata/tag differences of the same file in different locations as far as I can tell...
But maybe there's something that does this others have come across ?

Also - other programs that might offer export the metadata of selected/playlisted files to txt.xml (in ascii/a readable format) of selected files could be interesting as well if you know of one that does it well - to then diff the 2 txt files that list the exported metadata in separate files... not very convenient, but do-able / reliable...

Churs.
c.

redwing

I'd export all tags to a csv file for each partition and then compare the two csv files using Excel or other tools.

The problem with MB (including plugins) is that it can't manage unmapped tags. I think the functionality is already there but such features are not implemented yet. I'll create a couple of wishlist items regarding this that I've been thinking of.

For now you could use this tool to export all tags: https://community.mp3tag.de/t/export-or-backup-all-tag-fields/9520
But read the instructions carefully as it's not straightforward at least for me to get how to update the column list for different sets of files.

alec.tron

Cheers for the feedback.
But yea, even though the export all to txt/csv/xml file way is possible, it still requires you/me to wade through all tags and compare them one way or the other. I guess I'll just have to write something up to do the comparison and tag-fixing directly on metadata basis. Will take a bit of time (and I was hoping something like this exists already), but in the end this is better than manually comparing, as I will have to do this on 1000s of files, potentially multiple times on each... no fun.
Oh well.
Churs.
c.

redwing

even though the export all to txt/csv/xml file way is possible, it still requires you/me to wade through all tags and compare them one way or the other.

You could compare them either manually or automatically using a number of on/offline tools. Just goolgle "compare differences".