Author Topic: Undo?  (Read 25729 times)

varoomba

I am loving Music Bee.  A few times my heart has stopped for a few seconds when I thought I accidentally selected my whole music library rather than just a speific album and changed the genere.  That would be REALLY bad since I've spent a huge amount of time categorizing my music. 

So the good thing is that I haven't done this.  My concern, however, is that I don't see an undo function - so I suspect that one of these days I will do something globally - or even to 50 or 60 albums that will wipe out a ton of work and be unfixable. 

I could back up my music library at intervals and then restore from last backup point...  or is there an undo function that I'm just missing?

Thanks,

Keith

Maleko12

+1 on this. It would be quite helpful if this was included.

ma_t14

I actually asked for this feature some time ago but it must have been lost in the huge pile of wishlist threads ::) Anyway +1
Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:01:45 PM by ma_t14

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

+1

Currently there's "Undo changes" feature in tag editor. But once the file is saved, there's no way to undo the changes and go back to the previous state. Would be nice if that's possible.

Roadrunner

mrad

Heads up... one sec... an undo feature across the board, although sounding nice, is actually a challenging development. Not to mention a resource hog depending on the type of undos - think about an infinite buffer for undoing artworks - ewwww!

Therefore, perhaps a slight shift to an out of the box thinking is more suited to help with the OPs train of thought.

So, perhaps something like,

If operation about to be committed will affect more than 20 tracks, then aggressively warn the user.

Would be far far quicker for Steven to implement.

* mrad ducks

redwing

Mp3tag says it supports unlimited undo feature. How does that work? Anybody familiar to that?

mrad

Mp3tag says it supports unlimited undo feature. How does that work? Anybody familiar to that?

In terms of resource, there are two ways...
1) RAM
2) HDD/SDD etc. storage

If you change 100,000 photos in one operation, that is quite some resource penalty.

Often, a hybrid of both are implemented. So after say x number of operations, the rest are saved to a more permanent storage e.g. db.

mp3tag is a tool that is loaded, used and then closed, therefore, the used resource is quickly recovered. Conversely, MB is often minimised, therefore, such a hit on resource is a certain consideration. Saying that, I am not likely to change 100,000 photos, but I am thinking of the community use rather than my own.

There are many +1s so @Steven if you do implement this feature, can you add a configurable limit on the impact this has on resources (say a max of 10 undo steps by default) Then watch people later complain and wonder how MB is using 1 Gb ram.

redwing

A compromising way would be:

1. Exclude artwork completely from undo feature: still better than not having undo feature at all

2. Resize artwork universally to, say, 100x100, in db: still better than having nothing since you get at least a clue to what to search

3. Give an option to include/exclude artwork and configure resizing dimensions for undo

Zak

• Global Moderator
So, perhaps something like,

If operation about to be committed will affect more than 20 tracks, then aggressively warn the user.
I don't want to be warned politely when I'm editing tags, let alone aggressively. I'd hate this to become another pop-up dialog that gets inflicted every time when it's only needed one time in a million. The "Tags have changed. Do you want to save changes?" message is bad enough.

mp3tag is a tool that is loaded, used and then closed, therefore, the used resource is quickly recovered.
Not on my computer. It's almost always open. And I've been using it for the last three hours and it's still only using 15MB of RAM.

...if you do implement this feature, can you add a configurable limit on the impact this has on resources (say a max of 10 undo steps by default)
I think one level of undo would be enough. It's only to recover from a single "Whoops!" moment that affects a lot of files at once, as opposed to editing documents where you're always making incremental changes.

A compromising way would be:

1. Exclude artwork completely from undo feature: still better than not having undo feature at all
2. Resize artwork universally to, say, 100x100, in db: still better than having nothing since you get at least a clue to what to search
3. Give an option to include/exclude artwork and configure resizing dimensions for undo
For an undo function, that doesn't sound very useful. "Undo" should completely revert changes files to their previous state or not at all. I can't think of a single other program that implements a partial undo like that. It feels like lying to the user.

-edit-
As noted below, it seems Mp3tag doesn't undo changes to artwork. I feel lied to!
Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:47:19 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...