1. Create a folder outside of any area Windows has control of (ex. C:\Musicbee) and share it on your network. This is for the program.
2. Create a folder outside of any area Windows has control of (ex. C:\MusicLibrary) and share it on your network. This is for your library database and files.
3. Share the folder(s) with your music files on the network.
4. Download MusicBee Portable and extract the portable "installer" to the shared "program" folder you created in Step 1.
5. Navigate to the "program" folder through the Window Network navigator (i.e. not the drive navigator) and run the portable "installer"
6. Once it is installed and you are sure you are still in the Network navigator, open MB.
7. Create your library in the folder you created in step 2 USING THE NETWORK ADDRESS NOT THE LOCAL ADDRESS.
8. Import your music files *from their network location*. IF THEY ARE ON THE LOCAL COMPUTER, DO NOT USE THE LOCAL ADDRESS.
9. Set up MB as you like.
10. For convenience and safety, right-click the MB icon on the taskbar and pin it. This will ensure that you will not mistakenly run MB using the local file address in the future, which will screw up your settings.
11. On a remote computer, navigate to the network location you created in step 1.
12. *As long as MB is not still open on the host computer* run MB from the network folder
13. Repeat step 10 on the remote computer
14. Repeat steps 11-13 on each remote computer
* If you have flaky / unreliable network hardware, do not monitor folders, as losing network connection and opening MB will cause your files to be deleted from the library.
* Any music files you delete from a network share are immediately deleted from your system, not sent to the recycle bin. Have backups.
* If you mistakenly open MB using the C:\Musicbee type reference, it will screw up your settings and change a lot of things away from being network-referenced there
* Only open MB on one computer at a time. Bad things can happen if you have it open on more than one computer at a time.
* Any tools you use linked to MB (Spek, AlbumArtDownloader etc) or external encoders need to be portable versions in network folders or installed in the same location on each computer
I'm sure I forgot something and will edit / amend this going forward as needed