Author Topic: Album Types (LP's ; EP's ; Singles ; Compilations, etc.)  (Read 97188 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
So in Ellingtonia (a duke ellington discography) each recording has an index number which has the date formatted the same way as release sort index.

Then it has 2 final digits denoting the track order of that recording date/session. ie YYYYMMDDRO (RO=Recording Order ie. 01,02,03...)

If I use the same method will it order correctly?

You might have to split off those last 2 numbers into a virtual tag (as psychoadept has said) and then add them into your custom sorting set

Also, if we make groupings such as

1. Boxset
2. LP
3. Live
etc

If they're not quite alphabetical as with LP then Live is there a way to hide the ordering number in album covers view?

My grouping is non-alphabetical also:

G1; Album
G2; Live
G3; EP
G4; Single
etc

So I use a virtual tag (Release Group) to strip off the number:

MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Corliss Rain

Hi Bee-liever! I understand most of your virtual tag until it gets to the $IsNull command. Can you explain exactly what the Split commands do?

G1; Album
G2; Live
G3; EP
G4; Single
etc

Bee-liever

Hi Bee-liever! I understand most of your virtual tag until it gets to the $IsNull command. Can you explain exactly what the Split commands do?

My G6 group is for Various Artists Compilations.  The Split command is to break that up into sub-groupings so I can get this:

I'll just assume you don't want to go that level!  :D

Corliss Rain

My G6 group is for Various Artists Compilations.  The Split command is to break that up into sub-groupings so I can get this:

I'll just assume you don't want to go that level!  :D

Yes, yes I do. That's exactly my level of extreme!  ;D  :-*

johnmillsjr

G1; Album
G2; Live
G3; EP
G4; Single
etc

REPOST

Whoops forgot to add my screenshot.. what am i missing here? Not trying to do the extra stuff- just groupings with hidden ordering numbers

Bee-liever

what am i missing here? Not trying to do the extra stuff- just groupings with hidden ordering numbers

It's how you have the virtual tag constructed.  The $If statements have to be nested so MB will keep sorting through the tag until it finds a match.

Code
$If($First(<Grouping>)="G1","Boxset",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G2","Broadcast",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G3","LP",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G4","Live",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G5","Post Release",)))))

johnmillsjr

what am i missing here? Not trying to do the extra stuff- just groupings with hidden ordering numbers

It's how you have the virtual tag constructed.  The $If statements have to be nested so MB will keep sorting through the tag until it finds a match.

Code
$If($First(<Grouping>)="G1","Boxset",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G2","Broadcast",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G3","LP",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G4","Live",$If($First(<Grouping>)="G5","Post Release",)))))

Works except for LP and Live are ordered the wrong way- made sure to sort by virtual tag. Any Ideas why? Thanks in advance :)

hiccup

Works except for LP and Live are ordered the wrong way- made sure to sort by virtual tag. Any Ideas why? Thanks in advance :)

It's not 'wrong'. The purpose of this is so that you can decide an order for yourself. Just make LP and Live change places in your formulas if you want it different.

johnmillsjr

It's not 'wrong'. The purpose of this is so that you can decide an order for yourself. Just make LP and Live change places in your formulas if you want it different.

The G# is the ordering right? I have G3; as LP and G4; as Live but Live still sorts first like it's basing it off alphabetical sorting as Li comes before LP                                                                                                                                                                 

hiccup

The G# is the ordering right? I have G3; as LP and G4; as Live but Live still sorts first like it's basing it off alphabetical sorting as Li comes before LP                                                                                                                                                                

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.
Have you set 'Sub Grouping' to use the virtual tag?

johnmillsjr

I'm sorry if I misunderstood.
Have you set 'Sub Grouping' to use the virtual tag?

Tried but did not resolve issue.

hiccup

Tried but did not resolve issue.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.

Group By should be something like Album Artist
Sort By should be Grouping
Sub Grouping should be the virtual tag

Maybe I am overlooking something.

Make sure you rescan the files you are using to test this and restart MusicBee?
Sometimes during heavy testing and changing tags, formula's etc. that's a good thing to do.
Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:13:48 PM by hiccup

Bee-liever

Set your Sort By as  Album Artist/ Virtual Grouping/ Year

Set your Group By as Album Artist

Set your as Sub Grouping as Virtual Grouping

johnmillsjr

None of that works. sorting or grouping with album artist just splits box sets and albums up into a giant mess, and adding sub-grouping just doubles up the grouping names.

Are you sure my theory of a bug where the group numbering order is being overridden by the group names alphabetically ordering i.e
'Live' comes before 'LP' alphabetically