Author Topic: Album Types (LP's ; EP's ; Singles ; Compilations, etc.)  (Read 97191 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Beautiful!  No missed sub-group headings.  Thank you  :)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Fontenele

Good afternoon,

Just passing to say thanks for this post and the tips given, with those, my mp3 collection is more organized now.
Music Bee is simply AWESOME!
Cheeers from Brazil

Fontenele

Tjoeker

This looks like an awesome feature, but I'd like to use it in the views I use as well.
Would it be possible to create something like this? :)

Please ignore the repetition of albums, it's merely for showing purposes. :)

wobbly

This looks like an awesome feature, but I'd like to use it in the views I use as well.
Would it be possible to create something like this? :)

Please ignore the repetition of albums, it's merely for showing purposes. :)
+1

Usaviator

I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but I have read through it twice, and I'm still missing something. It was helpful in that I was able to successfully create groupings of albums.  So I have Studio Releases, EPs and Singles, Compilations, Live Albums, Third Party and Bootlegs, Tribute albums.  I've figured out how to apply them and create album groups and have them displayed in the window. What I'm not getting is how to custom sort these groups.  It seems to only let me sort them by ascending or descending (according to name given to the grouping).  But I'd like to put the official studio releases first, then EPs and Singles, then Live Albums, and so on...  The way it is now only alphabetically organizes them.  I apologize I am very new to music bee and I'm feeling the brain burn from the steep learning curve.  I've looked elsewhere on forums, but this seemed to be the only thread addressing the problem I'm having.  I know it's a couple years old and maybe there's a new way around this?  I also tried sub grouping by "custom 1" and just using codes like G1, G2, G3 and so on, but when i put those custom codes in the fields, they display on the main window, and I figured there was a better way around this.  Ideally, I'd like it to always organize the groups by "studio releases" first and so on with the order I've already specified.  But I don't know if there's any way to take already entered fields and add them to a sort list so that it knows to organize all my albums in the same way.  Anyone got any ideas?

boroda

try to use unicode zero-width (invisible) characters at the beginning of grouping tags for custom sorting.

Usaviator

try to use unicode zero-width (invisible) characters at the beginning of grouping tags for custom sorting.

So I've never heard of that before. I looked into it briefly and I'm not sure I understand how to do that. I saw that there are zero width spaces, but I haven't figured out how to insert them into normal text. I also don't see how inserting spaces will solve the issue.  But I'm probably missing something, because I know next to nothing about it.  And besides, if I can't see the characters, it's going to make it near impossible to keep track of how I sort through all my music.  If there is a mis-sorted item, it will be ridiculously hard to identify.  I was hoping that the program would have some sort of function to do this that I haven't figured out yet.  It seems like with all the sorting options it has, there would be a way to sort certain album groups in front of others.  If I mess around with the program long enough, I might stumble onto something, but just right now my head's spinning with how to make sense of how they've designed everything I was hoping maybe someone had figured it out.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
 I also tried sub grouping by "custom 1" and just using codes like G1, G2, G3 and so on, but when i put those custom codes in the fields, they display on the main window,

The way to do this is to put it in a custom sort order, and then sort by that. It depends on which view you're using, though, not all views support custom sorting.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

boroda

I saw that there are zero width spaces, but I haven't figured out how to insert them into normal text. I also don't see how inserting spaces will solve the issue.
they be always sorted after a-z letters. so just add several invisible chars at the beginning of tag to sorts it last. eg:

Studio Release
[zero-width space]EP
[zero-width space][zero-width space]Single
[zero-width space][zero-width space][zero-width space]Live Album
etc...

ChristoMorse

you can then use a custom sorting

Bee-liever, I can see you have achieved something that I haven't been able to.

I see you use the year tag the same way as me, in the format 03/04/2016.
My albums doesn't get sorted correctly this way though.

But I see you have made a custom tag named "Release Sort Index".
Well, I haven't had any success creating a custom tag for that purpose.
I would appreciate any tips on how to do it.

Thanks!

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P

Thanks!

"Release Sort Index" is the date in reverse order. 03/04/2016 becomes 20160403.
I find it especially useful with older releases where you can sometimes track down the month but not the day of a release.
You can only put a year into the year tag with that but with "Release Sort Index" I can also use the month. eg. 19420400.

One of these days I'm going to work out how I can enter the date in ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD) and get the Additional Tagging Tools plugin to automatically fill in both the "Year" and "Release Sort Index" tags!
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

The Incredible Boom Boom

Just a tip for anyone who reads this thread and uses the <Grouping> tag for other purposes, but still would like to have album types incorporated into their viewing settings, you can store different album types in separate Explorer folders and use $Contains(<Path>,Album Type) in a Virtual Tag to capture the information and display it however you'd like.

For sorting purposes, I have, for example, Chaka Khan's "Original Album Series" box set stored in J:\R&B\Chaka Khan\Box Set and code for my <Album Type> Virtual Tag is:
$If(<Genre>="Classical",,$RxReplace(<Path>,"^[\s\S]*?\\(EP|Studio|Instrumental|Holiday|Christmas|Preview|DMBlive|Compilation|Posthumous|Acoustic|Promo|Remix|NPG Music Club|Live|Box Set|Demo|Mixtape|Unreleased|Bootleg(\b|s)|Fan Club|Underground|Independent|Cover Series)[\s\S]*?$","$1"))

A little bit more effort than using the <Grouping> tag, however, for my purposes and OCD, if I can get away with not having to waste a Custom Tag, it's worth the little extra work. Obviously you should replace my album types with your own, just remember to separate each of them with the regex OR operator.
Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:50:12 AM by The Incredible Boom Boom

ChristoMorse

Thanks!

"Release Sort Index" is the date in reverse order. 03/04/2016 becomes 20160403.
I find it especially useful with older releases where you can sometimes track down the month but not the day of a release.
You can only put a year into the year tag with that but with "Release Sort Index" I can also use the month. eg. 19420400.

One of these days I'm going to work out how I can enter the date in ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD) and get the Additional Tagging Tools plugin to automatically fill in both the "Year" and "Release Sort Index" tags!
Thank you very much

johnmillsjr

@ Paul_Stone342
Sorry for not replying sooner, but sometimes there is just not enough hours in the day to get everything done!

As I said I use the in-built grouping tag, (so as not to waste a custom tag)

you can then use a custom sorting

for me, this sorts as Albums; Albums [live]; EP's; Singles

what it doesn't do is break them up into those groups with a nice sorting sub-header  :(
If your wish is about being able to do that as well,
then I certainly give it +1

I still don't get this.

If you have to specify the custom sort as "grouping" how do you specify the order of the group types entered under 'Gouping' in the tag panel like Boxset, LP etc if you can only set at as Grouping/Album... and not BoxSet/LP/Compilation etc?