Author Topic: Album Types (LP's ; EP's ; Singles ; Compilations, etc.)  (Read 96369 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
But in the picture it is the Album Cover view and not the Album and Tracks view. So it doesn't change the size for the Grouping Headers Boxset, Live and LPs

You're right, sorry. That setting doesn't show there. Does changing it in Album & Tracks have any effect on the Album Cover grouping? (I haven't tried it.)

The underline comes from the skin you're using, so if you want to change it you can apply a skin override.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
hi I'm new here and I can't seem to get a clear idea how to implement this in my library, can somebody please tell me how?

I think you'll need to familiarize yourself with custom and virtual tags. [Update: Actually, it's more like sorting/grouping settings and layout preferences. You can find more information on the wiki.] Also be sure you read through the whole thread. Ask questions where you run into trouble. We need enough info on what you're doing to be able to offer advice.
Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:23:15 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

KoRnFrEaK

But in the picture it is the Album Cover view and not the Album and Tracks view. So it doesn't change the size for the Grouping Headers Boxset, Live and LPs

You're right, sorry. That setting doesn't show there. Does changing it in Album & Tracks have any effect on the Album Cover grouping? (I haven't tried it.)

The underline comes from the skin you're using, so if you want to change it you can apply a skin override.
I've tried many different skins, but i can't find one, where it is underlined or where i can change the size of it :(

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've tried many different skins, but i can't find one, where it is underlined or where i can change the size of it :(

I'm using this skin and it has an underline:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=30067.0

Since we don't really have anything to indicate scale in that screenshot, it may be that the albums are smaller rather than the font being bigger. I guess you could make a wish list request for resizing the font.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
SUCCESS

It's too bad we can't make the headers bigger. I'm going to make a wishlish post to see if Steven can make this all a but more simpler by adding better ordering support for groupings

Nevermind, I was doing it slightly wrong- Have it working at 100% as intended!

How did you do that, that the grouping header is bigger and underlined? I tried nearly every possibility to change a font size, but i didn't found the one for the grouping headlines.

@ KoRnFrEaK
johnmillsjr has a very unusual sorting/grouping strategy as he is trying to create an interactive discography view.
He has sorted and grouped by his grouping header and is not used the sub-grouping header.
That's why his header is in a bigger font.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

KoRnFrEaK

I'm using this skin and it has an underline:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=30067.0

Since we don't really have anything to indicate scale in that screenshot, it may be that the albums are smaller rather than the font being bigger. I guess you could make a wish list request for resizing the font.

Sorry for my late answer, i was on holidays. I've tried this skin, but it isn't underlined. Is there something i have to activate in the menu? I couldn't find anything.

phred

• Global Moderator
I know my eyes are old and don't work like they used to, but I don't see an underline in the screenshot. Exactly where is the user trying to get an underline to appear? And are not underlines an option of the font?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

How did you do that, that the grouping header is bigger and underlined? I tried nearly every possibility to change a font size, but i didn't found the one for the grouping headlines.

@ KoRnFrEaK
johnmillsjr has a very unusual sorting/grouping strategy as he is trying to create an interactive discography view.
He has sorted and grouped by his grouping header and is not used the sub-grouping header.
That's why his header is in a bigger font.
As I already explained!
This is why the "grouping header is bigger and underlined"

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I know my eyes are old and don't work like they used to, but I don't see an underline in the screenshot. Exactly where is the user trying to get an underline to appear? And are not underlines an option of the font?

It's under the album types in the screenshot, and yes it's pretty light. That line is defined in the skin, I thought I even remembered a setting to determine whether it's solid or fades out but of course I can't find it right now.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
It's under the album types in the screenshot, and yes it's pretty light. That line is defined in the skin, I thought I even remembered a setting to determine whether it's solid or fades out but of course I can't find it right now.
Thanks. Moving the window to my other monitor I can see it. I guess the two monitors aren't color matched. :-)

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bee-liever

Thanks. Moving the window to my other monitor I can see it. I guess the two monitors aren't color matched. :-)
You can try Calibrize

phred

• Global Moderator
You can try Calibrize
Looks like I downloaded it in 2015. I can't remember if I used it or just archived it. And I'm sure my current monitors were obtained a good deal after 2015. So I will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

WindValley

All of this is great info and I almost have my music arranged in the way I want it.  

But, is there a way to create a virtual tag that outputs something different depending on the artist we're viewing?  I want a grouping called "Guest Starring".  So if I have a track by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg, I want that track to appear in both Dr. Dre's and Snoop Dogg's section (that's easy - artist tag allows multiple entries for artists).  BUT, if I'm browsing in 'Dr. Dre', I would like that to show up in the 'LPs' grouping.  But if I'm browsing the artist 'Snoop Dog', is there a way to group that in the 'Guest Starring' grouping?   Currently, that track shows up in the 'LP' section for both artists. Is there any way to do this?
Thank you!!

Another example would be:  If I wanted John Lennon's solo albums to show up under The Beatles.  If I have 'The Beatles' selected in the left main manel, it would be nice if those albums show up in a section called 'Post Beatles'.  If 'John Lennon' is selected as the artist in the left main panel, it is grouped by 'LPs'.

The Incredible Boom Boom

But, is there a way to create a virtual tag that outputs something different depending on the artist we're viewing?  I want a grouping called "Guest Starring".  So if I have a track by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg, I want that track to appear in both Dr. Dre's and Snoop Dogg's section (that's easy - artist tag allows multiple entries for artists).  BUT, if I'm browsing in 'Dr. Dre', I would like that to show up in the 'LPs' grouping.  But if I'm browsing the artist 'Snoop Dog', is there a way to group that in the 'Guest Starring' grouping?   Currently, that track shows up in the 'LP' section for both artists. Is there any way to do this?
Thank you!!

Another example would be:  If I wanted John Lennon's solo albums to show up under The Beatles.  If I have 'The Beatles' selected in the left main manel, it would be nice if those albums show up in a section called 'Post Beatles'.  If 'John Lennon' is selected as the artist in the left main panel, it is grouped by 'LPs'.

This sounds like the "Appears On..." section of the Music Explorer.

To do this in a main panel sounds like it would be feasible, but time-consuming to the point where I don't think others who aren't interested in a similar implementation would expend the effort to contribute.

Just to start you along, you'd first need to sort by <Sort Artist> in the Artists view. Then, you need featured artists in the <Guest Artist> tag, but every artist and guest artist on the track would be in <Sort Artist>. A VT could start off like $IsNull(<Guest Artist>,,Guest Starring) and you'd put it in the sub-header section. From there, I dunno.

NikoMuniz

Followed all steps to re-organize Albums, Singles, EPs and Compilations of the way i was looking for.

I'm using the method where the "Group By" section is using the virtual tag that is blank, so in sub-grouping i'm using the virtual tag that really sorts the grouping in the way i want., also the custom sort that i'm using is: Grouping/ Year (Desc)/ Album

But when using this method, there's a line that stands because of the blank tag that i'm using, it bothers me a little, there's a way to remove it or something?

Maybe it's a little hard to see.